Can a Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Hull be made bullet Proof?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by PsychicWarrior, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Bruce46

Bruce46 Junior Member

Very few of the Marines I served with had any use for drugs of any sort. When your life often depends on the reactions of the guy next to you, drug use isn't cool.
    Yes many of us were drafted, however, that dosen't mean we were stupid jerks. Far too many of those draftees didn't return and a great many served with honor. Enough of this slanderous garbage.

2. cardsinplay

cardsinplay da Vinci Group

Thanks for the keen, and spot-on observation, Bruce. My take on all this is very similar. When one guy goes out on a bush mission and he is high, the rest of the squad, platoon and company become compromised. There was a serious inner policing of this kind of behavior in each platoon in which I served. To intimate otherwise only shows that person as out of the loop and making commentary that is not jusitified by the direct actions in the field.

If one notices... our boy, Dave G, never answered the most critical of questions. "in what period did you serve? If you served during that same period, perhaps you have a substantive position from which to make these kinds of calls. If you didn't serve, or if you served in another time, maybe you should hold-off on the over generalizations of the fine young men of that period."

That is as succinct as it gets when it comes to this argument. Since our boy did not answer, succinctly, one can only surmise that he is full of himself and knows nothing of the conflict at hand. I dare say that he knows nothing of the current conflict either.

Wear it well, Dave; this is posturing of the worst kind.

3. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Murphy’s Laws of Combat

1. If the enemy is in range, so are you.
    2.Incoming fire has the right of way.
    3. Don’t look conspicuous, it draws fire.
    4. The problem with the easy way out is that it’s usually mined.
    5. Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.
    6. Professionals are predictable, it’s the amateurs that are dangerous.
    7. Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
    8. If you can’t remember, then the Claymore IS pointed at you.
    9. A “sucking chest wound” is Nature’s way of telling you to slow down.
    10. If your attack is going well, then it’s an ambush.
    11. Never draw fire, it irritates everyone else around you.
    12. Anything you do can get you shot, including nothing.
    13. Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you.
    14. If you’re short of everything but the enemy, you’re in a combat zone.
    15. Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.
    16. Friendly fire isn’t.
    17. The most dangerous thing in the world is a 2nd lieutenant with a map and compass.
    18. There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
    19. If at first you don’t succeed, call in an air strike.
    20. Military Intelligence is a contradiction.
    21. Tracers work both ways.
    22. It’s not the one with your name on it, it’s the one marked “To whom it may concern” that you’ve got to worry about.
    23. Walking point= sniper bait.
    24. If it’s stupid and works, it isn’t.
    25. No combat ready unit ever passed inspection.
    26. Things that must be shipped as a set, aren’t.
    27. Don’t ever be the first, don’t ever be the last, and never volunteer.
    28. As soon as you’re served hot food in the field, it rains.
    29. No matter which way you have to march, it’s uphill.
    30. Air strikes always overshoot the target, artillery always falls short.
    31. Never tell the platoon sergeant you have nothing to do.
    32. Beer Math- 2 beers X 37 men = 49 cases.
    33. Body Count Math- 3 guerrillas + 1 probable + 2 pigs = 38 enemy killed.
    34. The newest and least experienced soldier will usually win the Congressional Medal of Honor.
    I was looking for #15 but wanted to make sure we all remember the soldier's reality. -1965 to 1969

4. cardsinplay

cardsinplay da Vinci Group

Who wrote that crap?

5. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Seems to be in wide circulation among Infantry types. I found it on three different sites.

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

During my USCG active duty service 1965 to 1969 I was lucky enough never to get shot at, just nearly drowned and once almost cut in half due to someone else's stupidity.
    I have several multi-tour VN era friends from RECON and LRRPs and they are even more cynical than the Murphy's rules.
    My rules:
    1. Don't be stupid.
    2. **** happens.
    3. Bring beer.

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

ask Ernst Lindemann if a boat can be made bullet proof

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

We could put a vest on the whole craft, or just the critical parts. The weight penalty would not be great if it also served a dual structural function.

Have you seen this?

Composite fan blade containment case
    http://www.braider.com/?a=104

Or this?
    http://www.kellyspace.com/ballisticprotect/

9. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Warship armor these days is mostly Kevlar rather than steel for weight reasons. Also, most warships now have aluminum superstructures over steel hulls and so adding steel armor brings with it a host of issues.

According to wiki the Nimitz class carriers have 2.5" of kevlar armor over the vital spaces.

One more edit: @ Bataan, I think #18 is there is no such thing as an agnostic in a foxhole

10. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Not been in a foxhole myself but my father was intimately acquainted with them on Bataan and another mentor, a respected master carpenter who took me as apprentice was a forward artillery observer from D-Day to VE day so he knew them well. Both men were in the most furious, brutal form of combat.
    Both were completely non-religious, very moral in the way they treated others, sharply aware of injustice, suspicious of authority and wonderful to learn from. I think their most important and vital lessons may have been learned in foxholes, because they were very different from those my young eyes saw who only pretended to have been there.

11. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

Please quote where I said that anyone was a "stupid jerk". Then please explain how pointing out that drug use was statistically high in a given population at a particular time is slanderous.

I can understand why Vietnam vets can be sensitive. They were, in fact, very badly slandered by people like Jane Fonda, John Kerry, and other famous Democrats whose hatred for the war caused them to attack the honorable men who fought the war. The anti-war press reported their victories as defeats and their few defeats as unmitigated disasters. It wasn't until decades later that they even began to get the recognition that they fully deserved. I have always viewed the treatment of Vietnam vets as one of the more shameful events of American history.

However, all of that does not justify going the other direction and holding up Vietnam vets as holy men, above all question or criticism. History is what it is, and the young men who served in Vietnam were a part of tune in, turn on, and drop out generation. This doesn't mean that all of them took drugs, but far more than any previous generation of Americans had done.

12. Dave Gudeman

I thought you were not going to say any more on this subject?
    I think I answered it pretty succinctly. Isn't this pretty succinct? "it is ridiculous to suggest that someone can't make a historical claim without having been directly involved in the events".

I am not posturing, I am arguing. Let me give you an example to explain the difference between posturing and arguing. Let's say that someone said something that you didn't like, so you responded by pointing out errors in their facts or reasoning. That would be arguing.

If instead you huffed about the seriousness of the issue and how callous the other guy was because you had friends die which gave you great moral authority to speak on the subject and no one could argue with you unless they had a personal story to prove that they had great moral authority too --now that would be posturing.

13. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Does that include alcohol?

14. Dave Gudeman

Of course I wasn't including the three official military drugs: alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If we are going to re-fight the Vietnam War, shouldn't we do it in Vietnam?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.