Can anyone find a weirder boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tiny Turnip, Jun 2, 2008.

1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Yea, "odd" when she was at the back of the fleet in light airs; "illegal" after the wind picked up and she passed all the "sandbaggers", the high tech monos of the day. "... 'Sandbaggers’. These were 15 to 30 feet shoal draft, wide beam, planing, over canvassed vessels with enormous bowsprits and sternsprits. Their nickname derives from the dozen or so 50-pound bags filled with sand that the crew moved across the wide, open cockpit with every tack.

Monos with lightweight planing hulls, huge rigs and moveable ballast? Multihulls with innovative construction techniques? Some things haven't changed much in 130 years. :D :D

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

The need for speed......it gets us all sometime in our lives.

3. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Some great stuff there gentlemen- thankyou! particularly enjoying the oil drum house boat and the circular ironclad. I love that Victorian total confidence in invention- like the horrific submerged caisson lock on the Somerset levels coal canal - I'll see if I can find some pictures to post.
    and RiCk - definitely weird! I really enjoyyour work- the interplay of evolution/revolution in design generally fascinates me. that was one of the things behind the thread. the amaryllis also portrays the design revolution thing really well.
    Rick, With the bouyancy submerged, is the relationship with Weight/displacement really critical, or does the outriggers bouyancy give a bit of margin for error?

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Some weird ones.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Guillermo,
    Your postings reminded me of a video on one of our commercial TV channels featuring what some crazy inuit did in their spare time - something like those "big wheel" specials that drive over and crush a lot of old cars, but these guys delighted in climbing up steep hills carved out by the passage of iceflows or something then they moved to getting a run-up and seeing how far they could go over the water - quite spectacular, with NO MARGIN for engine failure as NON FLOATING and relying on tread (squared ribs) and rotational speed as well as vehicle velocity, to remain afloat - managed about 1000 meters over water, then a hotted up snow-ski-mobile thingie had a race with one of the trucks - both finished, truck won.... Bloody mad but good entertainment to watch...

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hmmm,,lost my otha pics,,,dam "meds" hehe ;)

Attached Files:

7. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

In the best traditions of the club :D willing to beat you on or off the course :p or right off the course if required!

8. artemis

artemis Steamboater

And can you imagine what it was like to be in the forward deckhouse when those guns were fired directly overhead.:eek:

9. Tiny Turnip

Seeing some interesting older threads resurfacing, I thought I'd give this one a little bump with a couple of images:

[​IMG]

What is somewhere on the 'quite interesting to rather scarey' scale is that pumpkin regattas are becoming so popular that apparently:

'An interesting trend is how boat racing has begun to influence the breeding and growing of pumpkins.

James Nienhuis a U. Wisconsin professor of Horticulture has crossed the Atlantic Giant Pumpkin (a racing favorite) with a pink banana squash to improve its shape.

Leo Swinimer of Novia Scotia, a champion racer, has developed techniques to coax a better a boat shape out of his giant pumpkins'

(www.the Floatery.com December 10 2008)

A world where boats are not built but grown, and not designed but bred. I'm getting a watery Cinderella theme here...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. Tiny Turnip

And closer to home (for me)

[​IMG]

That is indeed a boat made from a giant, varnished yorkshire pudding, racing in an annual event organised by Simon Thackray of 'the Shed.'

Apparently, one year when foot and mouth disease prohibited access to the river used as the course, a trough was built to allow the racing of normal sized yorkshire puddings that had been fitted with motors and radio control...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  11. jmolan

jmolan Junior Member

Just saw this at the Port Townsend Wooded boat festival this weekend. A wooden framed, inflatable sailboat. It looked to be 40' or so, sloop rigged. Saw him motor out of the harbor. It was an "ugly duckling" among all the glitter and shine of the perfect look boats. Looked plenty tough....:)

Attached Files:

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

13. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

Interesting, but it seems to be more of a variant on the seaplane theme than a boat. I think I remember an article on this concept in Popular Mechanics some years back.

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Except that it can't really fly. Once it loses ground effect, it loses lift, so the altitude you see in the pictures is pretty much the maximum altitude it can reach, ala the flying fish.

15. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Anyone is SF Bay Area? Seen that sailing SWATH-cum-amas off 101?

It is in full view of the highway off Redwood City in a storage yard on the east side the highway. It has been sitting there for at least 20 years.

I'll try to find my camera.