Calc centerboard length

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sroberts, Mar 8, 2004.

1. sroberts

sroberts New Member

I am in the process of scaling-down a sailboat design by 10%. I am able to find info for calculating things like required spar dimensions, but have not found info on determining the required dimensions for the centerboard. Is there a formula for this or can I just reduce the original dimensions by 10%?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Steven

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Steven,

Scaling down (or up) a vessel is not as simple as that. When scaling lenghts, areas get scaled almost twice the ratio and volumes three times. As weight, stability, buoyancy, etc. are linked to al these parameters scaling can be dangers without checking afterwards.
    In 'principals of yachtdesign' there are two tables on conversion of size, to give you some guidence. Please find them attached.

Scaling01 is proportions versus size
    Scaling02 is Prelim. dimensionless ratios

But please check your stability, freeboard/draft etc. before you start to build!
    Good luck with rescaling!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.