C&C 32' Centerboard Model

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tallsailor, May 11, 2004.

1. Tallsailor

Tallsailor New Member

I am currently looking at a used C&C 32' which has a centerboard..

...does anyone have any experience sailing a C&C boat, equipped with a centerboard???

...I realize the obvious advantages for gunkholing and being able to go places a keel boat wouldn't...but am concerned with overall sailing performance and the ability of this design to point, versus one with a traditional keel........

Your comments are appreciated..

Bob

2. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

I have a friend who had a C&C 36 with a centerboard. I can't make comparisons with what the boat might be with a keel, but it sails very well. He has had trouble with the centerboard getting caught in the slot. I'm not sure of the reason, but I suspect it is rust. There was also some water intrusion/core rot in the area around the centerboard pendant winch.

3. PaulCoffin

PaulCoffin Junior Member

Bob,

I owned a 1985 C&C 33 CB that sailed extremely well, particularly upwind. It had an IOR type hull that certainly contributed to the upwind performance. After I faired the foils and added a folding prop and backstay adjusted it could outpoint all but the hardcore racers.

I did sail a ~1980 C&C 32 CB once. It was a totaly different animal - different feel altogether. It pointed as well as most cruisers, but seemed to prefer reaching. Nice boat, though. I got the impression that the construction was better than my 33.

On the C&C33CB, C&C increased the ballast by almost 2000 lb (!!) over the fin keel to get the same righting moment. This worked very well. I don't know if they did that on the 32.

I live on the Chesapeake Bay. I'd go for the centerboard any day.

Paul

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.