Buoyancy Issue on 2670 Glacier Bay

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by finmanfish, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd be interested to know what the "factory" had to say about adding bouyancy in the rear, they would not advise any such thing imo. I am familiar with cats this size, and have never heard of one carry 1000 litres of fuel, 500-600 would be about the realistic limit. You can keep loading up boats with extra fuel to increase range, but it reaches a point of diminishing returns, beyond which it becomes self-defeating. Try tootling around slowly on one engine some of the time to better your range.

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

What the factory didn't tell you is even though the maximum weight capacity may be 2200 lbs, that 2200 lbs has to be evenly distributed about the boat. I spent over 20 years testing boats for capacity and flotation. Weight distribution is critical. You have too much weight in the aft end of the boat. Also just because they said 2200 lbs doesn't mean you should put that much in the boat. When a boat is fully loaded it becomes sluggish and hard to maneuver. As has been said here before you need to get rid of 200-300 lbs of weight.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.