Is bulkhead tabbing now redundant?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by groper, Jul 8, 2013.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

sorry!

sorry I do not want to have anything what so ever to do with this post again . ifeel very strongly about all that's happening and don't want to know any more! you do what ever you want . your funeral and I don't want to know anything about it !!:eek:

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

No need to be sorry, but inviting people to their own funeral is a bit uncool.
    Obviously if critical hull to deck & transom joins can be successful if correctly designed using adhesives & no glass, other parts of a vessels structure might be installed in a similar fashion. I'm all for continuity of fiber myself, but if the right joint design & adhesives can be successful & proven why not?
    Regards from Jeff.

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

the last AC mono's didn't have any bulkheads and that technology is filtering down to the pleasure industry( assuming they can catch up)
    So we have crash bulkheads for water tight integrity, any reason to have any more?

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I sailed on raceboats decades ago who had no true bulkheads. Nothing new.

For cruising yachts bulkheads are logical and desirable

Engine rooms, tanks, waterproof compartments. interior accomodation.....

5. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

How much closer to an answer to the original question are we now?

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You will never get a definitive answer because there are so many permutations of type of boat, conditions under which it will operate, shape of hull, type of resin, type of reinforcement, type, density, and thickness of core, laminate schedule, and dozens of other variables, any of which could make a significant difference. As I understand it the OP is wanting to avoid labour time and still make a super-lightweight, but sufficiently robust structure, and one that doesn't offend the eye ! Quite an essay.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Indeed.
    Just get in line in the long que of those wanting the same... :eek:

8. groper

groper Senior Member

For the catamarans im looking at, the calculatiions are telling us its in the ballpark. So we have to verify now by destructive testing the exact joint and panel we intend to use. Thats where is is now... when I grt around to it, ill show the results along with all details of the laminates and adhesives used etc

9. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Like a mystery novel with so many anti climaxes and no end in sight, tunnels got so bored he walked away.:D

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Adhesive Bonding of Bulkheads

...a reference from EuropeanBoatbuilder...

Check out the stength and ductility of this adhesive product.

Attached Files:

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

But they didn't use any tabing of additional glass layers, did they? I don't see them?

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

hey good point...I also don't see any core or indeed laminate for the hull and bulkhead they obvious saved weight that way too, genius!!:eek:

It is a simple diagram for publication, what else do you expect, especially given the nature of the article: the use of crestomer. Anything else is not relevant....just like the sketch dwg. Since it is not a construction dwg!

14. groper

groper Senior Member

In the blurb, it specifically states the bulkheads are bonded in as opposed to wet laminated in... to me this implies they are not tabbing, but of course is open to interpretation.... contacting scott bader might help clarify...

15. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Indeed. But the article also only says that the product is Class approved, thats all. It does not say that the joint in that configuration is Class approved.

The joint i reference in my post above, was required for DNV approval, for a catamaran I designed about 2 years ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.