Bulb for 49er

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by revintage, Dec 23, 2016.

1. revintage

revintage Senior Member

Keel foil

Just received this "keel foil" from UK. Very robust design that will have no problems to carry a 50kg bulb. Thanks to Gareth at Windknife who made this heavy duty special version. On top is a sample of the standard profile.
    If anyone dares to answer: Please no more trimarans!

Attached Files:

2. OzFred

OzFred Senior Member

I don't have much time in a 49er, but 29° would seem to be on the verge of capsize, especially if you're single handing. They really do need to be sailed flat.

A 50kg bulb may be equivalent to 80kg on the wire at some point of heal, but 80kg of live weight is worth double the dead weight in terms of stability.

3. revintage

revintage Senior Member

Thanks Fred. Single handing is due to being without buddies to sail with :-( . Also sail area will be in the ballpark of 11 to 15 sqm. With two men hiking on the wings and 50kg bulb, full 21 sqm area will then be doable as design wind is the same as on a std 49er.

The pic was just to decide angle of the wings, so they don´t touch water to early. So the verge of capsize was just what I was looking for. We still have 30-50cm of ice so it´s hard to do an IRL test ;-) .

4. revintage

revintage Senior Member

Wings

While the other guys where sailing their ClassIII iceyacht on the lake behind I tried the new wings. Maybe they should be angled up a little more?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.