built for the Navy 30ft Pennyann

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by LEASEGUY, Nov 24, 2007.

1. LEASEGUY

LEASEGUY Junior Member

I need some seniopr input on this one, I found a boat in storage made by Pennyann under military contract, never used or completed completly open 100% fibrerglass about 30 ft flat floor lots of hatches , no power but has props and shafts in twin tunnels, looks like it draws 18 inches and has lots of plumbing for water pumps .
    does anyone know anything at all about this seroiusly big shallow draft 30footer?

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Interesting mystery. You didn't mention the age of the boat or anything about the contract. Some more info would help.

Thinking of FRP boats built by civilian boat builders for the military, your description sounds like a PBR (Patrol Boat, River). Several hundred 31' FRP open boats were built for the US Navy in the 1960's (The boat featured in the movie, "Apocalypse Now" was a PBR). At the time, I knew they were modified versions of the Uniflite 31, built by United Boat Builders of Bellingham, WA, USA. All the information I've seen recently mentions them as the only builder of the 31' PBR. Their boat featured twin water jets powered by 220 HP Detroit Diesels. Penn Yan built some inboard boats in the 30' range. Their drive was called Tunnel Drive, featuring tunnels molded into the bottom and recessed props.

One of the Navy's principle requirements for the PBR was the ability to operate in very shallow waters. The water jets obviously helped in that regard. Penn Yan's Tunnel Drive was another drive design that gave a shallow draft. I wonder if Penn Yan received a contract to build a few prototypes for testing? Possibly what you have is one of those, unfinished because after initial testing the final contract was awarded to United Boat Builders? This is just a theory, and it would not have any possibility of being valid unless your hull were built in the 1960's.

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Can you post some pictures?

4. Pennyanparts

Pennyanparts Junior Member

Ya, I know that boat I used to have it on LI

Contact me if you want info on it

TJ Amato

Penn Yan Parts & Accessories
    PO Box 764
    Canandaigua, NY 14424
    Phone 585-554-6636
    Fax 585-554-6636
    Cell 516-652-6855

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

The Coast Guard used a lot of Penn Yan tunnel hulls in the 70's and 80's as Boating Safety Detachment boats. They were 22 foot, deep vee and plenty fast. They were very good rough water boats. The only problem with them was the same as all tunnel hulls, they don't back down in a straight line. However they were rugged and dependable and looked nice. On the east coast in the old 3rd ditrict (NY, NJ, CT, part of PA) they used to use them to patrol offshore races because they could do pretty well in the offshore conditions.

Somewhere I have photographs of them.

Hey TJ, How's thing's at Penn Yan. I applied for a job there in 1989. I actually was offered the job but my situation prevented me from accepting. But what a great location!

6. Pennyanparts

Pennyanparts Junior Member

Peter,

Penn Yan closed in 2001, another victum of New York's kill industry mentality. I now produce and market replacement parts to keep the old girls on the water.

Some one has to.

TJ

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. But keep the old girls going. They were fine boats.

8. Tom G

Tom G New Member

Penn Yan

Back in the 1970s, I was a boatswain mate on a Coast Guard BOSDET which operated 20' Penn Yans. The NY Marine POlice also had some of these boats, I would love to have a pic if someone has one from that era.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.