Building a small work barge with plywood

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by indianbayjoe, Nov 20, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I've had equipment, vehicles and structures like that: cobbled-together makeshifts that hang around for years, refusing to die so they can be replaced with something decent.:p

Sounds to me like the storm did you a favor, in the long run.

2. indianbayjoe

indianbayjoe Senior Member

Thats what were thinking. Maybe a blessing in disguise.

We've been working with the west system products pretty much soley as our epoxy product. My glass guy likes it and is familiar with it so we've never varied to other products. Has anyone tried any epoxy with the new pressure treated lumber? We did use some on the old pressure treated lumber even though it may not have been recommended. It was more of a test but never followed through with it.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Try a Boatdesign.net search for pressure treated wood, epoxy. Seeems I read something somewhere....or it could have been in the west systems Epoxyworks magazine ?

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

You will find much cheaper stuff to fit the bill. Marinepoxy is one, Silver Tip another, Bateau.com the source, if I remember well. Raka is also a good alternative, all are fine products for such application and cheaper than West. In doubt, send a PM to PAR, he gives you the info.
    Stay away from the pressure treated stuff, it is not worth a thought. Same is valid for Michaels recommendations! They are either dead wrong, or copy and paste advice, from us pro´s.

I would again recommend the Atkin barge to be part of your thoughts, except you have a design for a steel barge already at hand. The Atkin is the cheapest proven design (plan) you probably can get, and dirt cheap to make, if you have a decent source of timber.

Good luck
    Richard

5. indianbayjoe

Thanks Richard.

I have been investigating the Atkin Barge. I joined their group and am trying to find someone who used those plans and built one. Would like to see what their costs were compared to our estimates for our plans. Yea i agree i need to stay away from the PT lumber. It was just a thought. We will be using a lot of it to rebuild our docks so I would have been able to get a better price on a large order. I may order the plans from atkin this week. On the lines of lumber, if we were to go with the plywood version, is the pine or fir better? I know that any CDX is the bottom of the barrell and I hesitate on the luan since the core is usually unknown even though it is exterior glue. Were going to epoxy everything anyway.

6. michael pierzga

7. indianbayjoe

Thanks michael, good article

8. michael pierzga

And best to give the epoxy guys a ring...perhaps they can pass on some good tips as to what grades of ply are better or what other sheet material..CHEAP..could also be considered.

9. indianbayjoe

Well this project is certainly moving in a lot of directions. Chick, my employee, the designer/mechanic, has been working on drawings and putting all the ideas on paper. He also has come up with a construction plan allowing us to cut and precoat all the pieces inside our shop and then perform the final assembly either at another location this winter or in the spring when the temps rise. We also remembered a 4 cyl mercruiser package we took out of a boat we crushed that wre looking at installing in the barge now. Were working on the compartment layout and also the lifting system or crane. Right now without any accessories, the barge as designed will should end up with a draftg of 4". Sounds like this project may actually come to be. It will be so nice having a rig designed the way we use it and in good condition. Now hopefully the insurance company comes through. I also ordered the plans for the atkins barage Giant to have multiple ideas on the table. Thanks to all who are helping. If i can figuire out how to post pictures, I will somehow copy the plans for all to see. Chick is a very talented draftsman also.

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Certainly a resin formulator will not recommend any material he has no control of. That was BS again.

indianbayjoe

The treated ply, mentioned on the Glen L site is not what you are after. It will be hard to encapsulate in Epoxy at reasonable cost. Plain timber or steel is the way to choose imho. The former can, but must not be epoxy encapsulated, to provide a decent service life.

Regards
    Richard

11. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

You can make a simple box real cheap. Use roof tar ,galvanized nails, and exterior ply.
    Doug fir for framing , and soak well in wood preservative. No big deal.
    2' high ,Ok . No big deal . Use it for 10 years and cut up .

f

12. frank smith

Barge

Attached Files:

13. frank smith

BTW, cheap ply , and cheap wood , the epoxy is a waste of money .

Pt yellow pine ply , fine with good soak up of preserve and paint.

14. frank smith

Also put house on , live easy, Ok

15. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

"Cheap" ply, 2X6 fir frames (2' centres), Fiberglass (matt/roving/matt).

Lasted 14 years so far, no soft spots...

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.