Building a Small Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mgriffin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Ok. I understand. I'm sure it will be like riding a bike, once you get the hang of balancing, you're pretty dang good. Oh ya, and for the record, I learned to ride a bike WITHOUT training wheels when I was 3.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

kerchoo... glub glub glub Nice visual!
    Perhaps a different approach. Think of the chine as a support for the boat. The sharper the angle the more the support or stability. INITIAL stability...this means that a flat bottom has the most initial stability. Flare on the sides adds secondary stability as the boat heels but seeing as you are concentrated on a vee bottom we will only look at the chine and its relationship with the bottom. The more of a vee or round the bottom has the less INITIAL stability the boat will have relative to the beam of the boat. This makes it very tippy, tipsy or whatever you want to call it. The one you have picked has a lot of vee and therefore is very unstable unless you are keeping the GC as low as possible. Like PAR says...sneeze too hard and this one might just roll over on you if you aren't careful. I think for your purposes you might look for something with a little less vee and a bit more stability (initial).

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

[QUOTE I learned to ride a bike WITHOUT training wheels when I was 3.[/QUOTE]

Would that make it a 3 wheeler ???

and I agree with the opinions on the V hull ...if you read it carefully even the designer has problems getting into it ...could you not progressivly reduce the v so that at the rear its say 10 deg to add stability . Also if you intend to fit an outboard you need the transom tilted at 15 deg or you will have trim/steering issues

4. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

It will have an inboard. I am not changing my mind about my choice of boat. Oh and if a bike had training wheels it would be a 4 wheeler.

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Bon Voyage then... hope things work out better than I suspect they will.

Steve

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

First rule of successfull business

"always employ a teenager they know it all"

But having said that good luck and send us some photos when its all finished .....

7. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I will. Trust me. (Send photos)
    BTW, I don't know everthing, I know alot! :D
    I was thinking, the engine will weigh about half as much as the boat, and it's low COG will act as ballast. Might anyway.
    After I build my boat, I was thinking of ways to earn money, well, I thought of a few ways, for example, I could fish for paddlefish and sell them (they are a food fish and their eggs sell for good money), or I could catch gator gars (They are cosidered a delicacy, Kinda hard to catch them in a small boat, near impossible...), I might also collect scrap metal. Any other ideas?

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Jim, by his own admissions, knows he didn't hit a home run with this design, in fact it was a bit of an experiment, that didn't work out as well as he'd hoped.

I design boats for a living and you should strongly reconsider your choice here, as it's wholly unsuitable for you're needs. You will very likely go swimming the first time you step aboard her (Jim did).

9. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Oh yeah, to all, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!! (If you celebrate it) and for memorial day I shot my pellet gun. I tryed shooting a candle with it, the pellet went about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch inside it, and where the round hit it, it was all expanded on the outside of the candle and it was cracked near the surface. I took one of the pellets I fired into it, and it looked like it had been smashed. (Not surprisingly). I'm about to fire off my pellet gun now.
    seeya later,

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Mike,
    I did´nt notice it was that much a poor design as it obviously seems to be. But after reading the related designers article I must say, as PAR, go for another boat that fits your needs better.
    Regards
    Richard

11. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Your basically building a house boat. Not a boat. Nothing wrong with that, just you are limited in weather that you can travel in. With a small motor like that your only going to be moving from anchor point to anchoring point.

I would go with flat boat. Angle in bow like a barge. And use an outboard via a tunnel if you like. The reason is simple your going to mess with water cooling, wet or dry exhaust, a thru hull, packing, shaft seals etc... for a 2 hp.

Also 2hp is way to little power this, a strong wind will make it go backward. You need at least 5hp just to get forward movement.

Far easier, lighter, stronger and cheaper to get a fiberglass discarded hull and build your cabin on top.

12. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Why the obsession with the inboard? For 2-5 hp look for a Cruise 'n Carry, Tohatsu or even a Briggs & Stratton. For the boat you need, an inboard offers (inho) no benefit whatsoever and will cost way more than it should. In fact I couldn't justify a gas o/b for your purpose; get a 30-55 lb thrust Minn Kota Endura for $100 - $150 new (less, if used) and a $70 battery and go boating. After all that is the point, isn't it?

13. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

He wants an inboard, just like I do. No amount of convincing will change his mind. Inboards are "cool" and outboards are OK. Maybe he wants an inboard becuase he has all the engine and just thinks, well I just need a few more parts. Thats my way of thinking, and I'm 15. I can see how an outboard would make more sense, but it all depends on what you want.

This is what I'm building http://www.vintageprojects.com/boats/little-boat.pdf

14. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Let me quote that Ranger!
    BTW, I'm from Texas (Galveston) too!

15. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

I'm in the Houston area, have you started work on anything yet? I have my frame almost built, just need the stem(?) the curve at the front.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.