Building a Small Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mgriffin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Do you think that the lauan ply from home depot is good for boatbuilding? It doesn't have to be top quality.

2. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I have decided the boat I am going to build. It is what you would call a punt. This punt will be 7 feet long, 4 feet wide. Hell, it's my first boat, so cut me some slack on the size! It is not going to be flat bottomed, the bow is going to be 1ft deep & 2 feet wide. The stern is going to be 3 feet wide and 1.5 feet deep. It will be exactly like the boat in the picture, but it's bow and stern will be flat, not at an angle. Also, the thwart will be attached to the gunwales.

Attached Files:

3. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nice idea, good decision, affordable boat! 10 points mate!

5. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Hello Apex. I like the pram idea myself, and if it doesn't work out, I have a wonderful backup plan. You are probably asking yourself, "Doesn't Work?" What I mean by doesn't work is if I can't build it for 230 dollars, then it will be no problem. I designed a failproof backup boat that I am tempted to build instead of that pram, but I should start with the pram first even though the backup boat is only 8 long and 4 wide. The backup boat looks very nice and uses minimal framing, in fact, the only framing is to hold up the passenger seating area roof, which covers the seats that are waterproof to act as flotation compartments. If the outboard on my backup boat fails, no problem. I designed the seats along the walls of the hull so your back would be AGAINST the hull, but there are two pegs on each seat to hold a rowing board in place. I doubt the pram will fail, but I am going to build the pram first, then this boat. I could go on all day about the backup plan boat, but it would be easier to show you the plans. So I have my first and second boats planned. Pram first, then the Water Strider. (thats the name).

6. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I was thinking about building them both out of lauan ply. Is that a good choice? I keep hearing about people building boats with it (like first boats or expiremental boats).

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sorry Mike I have no idea about the quality of ply sold in the US, I just know there are unbelievable different qualities sold under the same name, so, i cannot comment on that. But ask PAR, if there is one to answer that question, it is him.
    Regards
    Richard

8. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

my experience of home depot ply would be a definite NO for boat building.

Search for marine plywood. Yes it is more expensive but its not worth putting the effort on crappy materials.

9. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

The quality of the ply you use depends on how much you can afford and how long you want it to last .
    Even cheap ply will last a good few years in a small boat if its well coated with poly resin (10% acetone)
    for the first coat ......I am sure you will move on to bigger better before long ...

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Pistn
    nobody begged you to contribute here. And if you feel to do so, you should read the thread, not one or two posts.
    The Boy is 13 years old and might have a bit less than your experience.

Regards
    Richard

well edited PISTN !

11. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Michael,

No, Luan is not a good choice unless you can get good quality EXTERIOR graded material. Whatever you use must be laminated with waterproof adhesive.
    From the description of your project, it sounds like you will need at least (2) 4'x8' sheets.

For a starter boat I would suggest Exterior Grade plywood AB or AC grade from a real lumberyard (not Home Depot). Use a good quality (3M or SIKA) Marine adhesive/sealant, brass or galvanized screws and prime and then paint with floor and deck enamel.

Your should end up with a watertight boat (that will live on land mostly) that will serve you well and last for several years while not costing a fortune.

Good luck with your project and please post some pics.

Best Regards,
    John

12. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

O.k got it. Lumberyard. I can do that. I am moving to Texas in 4-5 months, lumber from lumberyards should be cheap down there since where I am going to live will be COVERED in trees which means cheap wood. I found the engine (34 cc) and the clutch (centrifugal). I am still looking for a prop. I am going to make a homemade outboard. I will post pictures of my boat when it is built. I will also take pictures of the building process of the boat and the homemade outboard.

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Mike my dear, you´re silly! They "give" you outboards for free at EVERY marina out there, just ask for the time, and you´ll need a truck to bring them home. Make one out of three, but do´nt make one yourself, please! Stay with us. We enjoy your way to get into the "boating world". And ever so often we enjoy your stubborn way to get it done "another" way. That is valid for all of us who contributed to your threads, be shure. (Iknowthesemadpeers)

Regards
    Richard

14. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Well, Damn man! you should've told me! I just might save a few bucks and get an easy repair job that makes my boat do 20 knots!
    thanks very much,

15. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Mike, In that case let's build an 8' mini-Max hydroplane next!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.