building "nester" question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by berwick, Dec 6, 2009.

1. berwick

berwick New Member

I am building the David Gerr "nester" dinghy. In the instructions it says "deduct the plank thickness (1/4") and measure the bevel for each frame and transom. The plank thickness deducted at the bow and stern transoms has to be adjusted for their rake.

I have drawn the frames and then reduced the size by 1/4"where the 1/4" plywood will be.
    For the bevel part, do I just measure the angle off the drawings with a bevel square and then transfer it to the frames?
    What does the last line mean "The plank thickness etc...."

Can I not just make the transom 1/4" smaller for the plywood, put it at the correct angle and then sand the wood to put the bevel right?

Thanks, Richard

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Because Nester's bow and stern transoms are raked, the planking thickness to be deducted from the given dimensions is different than it is for the frames.
    If you draw a close-up profile view of the joint for yourself, you will see how Gerr has picked off the given dimensions and why the planking thickness deduction is different.

Using a bevel square to copy the angles from the plans to the actual frames ought to work just fine.

Since Nester is an epoxy-taped-chine design, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the fits exactly perfect.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.