building my own boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by alley123, Aug 16, 2011.

1. alley123

alley123 Junior Member

hi has anyone built their own boat, i wanna start a project and was wondering how much roughly you could build a 65ft fibreglass motor yacht for .:?:

2. alley123

alley123 Junior Member

boat project

i am wanting to build my own 65ft motor yacht and was thinking of getting plans from bruce roberts, was just wondering has anyone done such a project and do you know what it would cost and how much fibre and resin would it take.

3. FMS

FMS Senior Member

What is your boatbuilding experience to date? Build a small dinghy first to see if it's what you love doing. Then build a larger boat to build skills. Building a 65' motoryacht is a massive project that will take years of your life. It takes equipment, stamina, logistics and financial reserves.

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Alley,

It really depends on the style of boat, installed power, systems, ect.. For a 65' Hatteras type boat, probably in 2.5 million dollar range.

5. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

First things first. Spend several full days searching the subject on this and other forums. This should enable you to to ask intelligent, specific questions and begin your research in earnest.
    Build a skiff or dinghy, preferably using the construction method of choice for the yacht.
    If you don't have sea time, get some.
    Don't stop your search for designers, keep looking.
    Understand projects of this magnatude are tough, sometimes fatal, to relationships.
    Consider finding a hull some disillusioned home builder has laying in the back 40 and buy it for a fraction of what he has invested in it.

Keep us posted.

6. alley123

alley123 Junior Member

thanks, yeah im thinking of doing a smaller boat first and see how it goes, im new to all this and i need to do alot more research i think.

7. river runner

river runner baker

I'm just finishing up my first boat build. I also think you should start with a row boat. I learned a lot of things the hard way. A bigger boat would be much easier because of what I learned with this one. I see one of your biggest problems being a place to build such a large boat. I had to build a smaller boat than I wanted because the only place I had to build it was my garage. You'd need a freaking aircraft hanger for a 65'. Being temperature controlled would help a ton. I had to wait for warm weather before I could realy get started because epoxy doesn't cure in cold weater very well.

8. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I would suggest reviewing your goals.

Are you building because you want a 65' boat, or are you building because you enjoy building boats?

Very important question.

Also, have you owned enough boats in the past to know what you want?

Some people have enough patience/stamina to build more than one of these monsters in their lifetime. I'm not one of them. If I didn't know exactly what I want, from more than 20 years at sea, many of them in a professional capacity, I would be wasting a large part of my life and net worth.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

It's a buyers market-- locate a run down fiberglassed hulled vessel of the style you are interested in and re build. In most cases it would pan out to be 1/4 the cost of a new build, Plus depending on the condition you might be able to use, live in, while you rebuild. Something you enjoy now not a project you'll end up quitting 15 yrs. from now. Take it from an old builder--

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner--

10. messman

messman Junior Member

Alley,

I am no expert in this but I have been researching building my own vessel for over 5 years now, making sure that I pick the right plans for my skills, for what I want in a vessel, etc. I made the choice of plans a couple of years ago. (30' cabin cruiser) I will be building a wooden/glassed boat because my skill set is in wood. What is yours? Even though I am a skilled woodworker I am under no illusions that this is going to be a simple job.

I have been lurking around this forum, and a number of others, trying to soak up as much information my thick head and little brain can. If I have learned anything while lurking, it is that this will be a long-term project that will present a number of challenges regardless of the skill set(s) and experience you bring to your build. Can you put the research, time, effort, and $$$'s into it? So research, research and research. The time I have put into it may or may not be over kill, but I know that when I start (hopefully the end of this year) I will be as prepared as I can be. I also believe that the time I have put into researching things will save me time, pain, and money once I start.

1 person likes this.
  11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well stated Messman-- I spent 3 months researching designing my keel alone- and I am a boatbuilder of some many many years experience. The other great educator is to construct about a 3ft. scaled model of the vessel you want to build. Build it just as you would a full size boat-- In the end it will amaze you the insight you gain plus you have a beautiful model.

A yacht is not determined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner

12. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

I do not know your financial situation but from the little experience I have need to roll around 200000 dollars If you have them here with your Advanced

13. alley123

alley123 Junior Member

hi, does anyone know on average how many drums of resin you would use to build a 65ft motor yacht as we are researching into all aspects of boat building, i am new to all this but have fibreglassed and done carpentry but would just like to get a rough idea of certain aspects before i would commit to buying plans any help in this area would be much appreciated, if i knew how much resin and matting i would know whether this size of project would be in my budget.

14. Lister

Lister Previous Member

One more dream going to the toilet.
    Wrong approach, wrong questions.
    Lister

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

The hull cost is a small component of a motoryacht this size, possibly 20 or 25%. The raw material cost will be outstripped by facility, labor for a 1-off, and equipment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.