building a miniark

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jeanke, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jeanke

jeanke Junior Member

it might sound strange but i'm serious about it

currently I'm designing a boxshaped, slightly rounded at bow and stern -ark like boat

this is to be build out of Al and will have a size of 30 foot in lenght by 10 foot in width an height. A cabin will be placed on top. the build starts in june so i do need my plans/skills to be perfect before that

I have been reading a lot of "howto's" and have a mainidea about the stucural build

starting from 11 frames a plate is welded on the exterial with a finishing plate around that.Inside a third plate will be placed that is filled with pu (hole in it for excess) closed and sealed again with a fourth plate above all that.

I live in europe and I'll try to put everything in your measures.

My question is atm if you know of any models/plans that exist around the same idea or if there is readingmaterial I need to go through to assure a good and fast build (have 4 months of vacation a year and 10 times the space required)

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Welcome here first......

you are right it sounds a bit strange at least. And the only descriptive literature I know about this subject is the bible.
    You should first lookup the members list, check if noah is a member of this board. He might remember some scantlings (not shure about the foam although).:rolleyes:

If this advice did not help, you might choose to give us some more info for what reason one would build a ark?
    Maybe you know more than all of us..... in terms of global warming?:)

Regards
    Richard

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I did look it up and I'm currently working up scanting conversion tables for "cubits". Also, where can I find some good, clear, straight grained gopher wood?

In all seriousness now, your main concerns should be dimensional stability and survivability of the structure, with the anticipated loads you expect to encounter. This assumes you've developed a shape that can support the weights you pile on and into it, plus handle it's duties as a boat, such as floating upright on launch day, pretty much were you'd like to.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Jeanke, welcome aboard :)

With the dimensions you talk about- a hull 30 feet long, 10 wide and 10 deep- I think it's safe to assume you don't care about the ability to go fast.

The first issue that comes to mind that you'll have to figure out is hydrostatics and stability. Which brings up two questions: Have you already figured out how to do sectional area, displacement, and righting moment calculations? And, if not, are you scared of a little numerical integration?

It sounds like you're a fan of aluminum construction, and have some experience working with that metal. If so, aluminum's a fine material for building a sturdy boat. (If you aren't already pretty good with a MIG torch, though, it may not be the best choice given your tight timeline. In any case, as with all boat projects, said timeline will be shot to pieces in a month anyway.)

An excellent guide to most of the common boat construction methods (including several different metal framing systems)- and how to calculate appropriate dimensions for everything- is found in Dave Gerr's "Elements of Boat Strength". (Amazon link: http://www.amazon.ca/Elements-Boat-Strength-Builders-Designers/dp/0070231591 ) Costs $30, easy to read, thorough, and will be a valuable reference for many years to come.

I noticed that you mentioned, in the original post, multiple-layer plating and foam-filled spaces. I'd not recommend either of these. Aluminum's pretty corrosion resistant when it's exposed and can form a protective oxide, but in tiny crevasses between plates you can still get some pretty nasty effects. And two layers of 1/4" plate will give less stiffness with double the labour compared to a single layer of 1/2". A double bottom is a good idea- tankers use it, many ocean-going yachts use it- but filling the intermediate space with foam is asking for all sorts of trouble. Better to just compartmentalize the double bottom into spaces that won't sink the boat if breached, and leave the spaces as air. (Don't believe me? Ask anyone who's ever had to dig out a foamed-in aluminum gas tank from a 10-year-old production powerboat.)

(Do feel free to use either SI or US Customary units- most of us can understand both- but please try to stay clear of cubits!) And I envy your 4-month vacation....;)

6. jeanke

jeanke Junior Member

indeed

When it comes to my ideas I fear nothing.

As to speed it isnt what i'm going for.

I had the same idea when it comes to compartmentalize as in it already is in my design but now I see that if i want to keep my pu idea i wil have use rubberbags to put the pu in or just leave it as compartiments.

Already you are helping me. I'll read the book you suggested asap. Meaning today or very very soon.

Is there btw a program you often use to virtualize your ships? I could make a 3d version of the boat.

As to the reason I'm building this:
    I'm a teacher in informatics (accountants degree) and computertechnichian/ studying ict/electrical engineering and I like challenges. Other hobby's are astronomie, history, geography... And no god did not ask me to build one
    its just i feel the need to build it so I'm gonne :)

btw: http://books.google.be/books?id=y2GT5JyVrzAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Elements of Boat Strength
    atm i like reading this:
    http://books.google.be/books?id=-3nvXmZpNysC&pg=PA88&dq=Elements of Boat Strength&lr=#PPA88,M1

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.