Build A Power Boat , Powered By Wind

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by windboat, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groper

groper Senior Member

windboat,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGCYaJbf0A&feature=related

14m solar catamaran = 2x 8Kw motors http://www.transatlantic21.org/boat/
    cost = 700,000 swiss francs

31m solar catamaran 85tonne displacement = 20Kw energy consumption at cruising speed;
    Propulsion...
    The PlanetSolar is powered by four high-efficiency electrical permanent magnet synchronous motors driving five-bladed carbon fibre propellers through two drive shafts. Four motors develop a total power output of up to 176kW (239bhp), of which about 20kW per hour is consumed at cruising speed.

The backup power is utilised at night and during rains. The advanced lithium-ion batteries can store up to 1.3MW of solar energy under deck. The boat is equipped with a rudderless steering system. Each propeller supplied by AIR has a diameter of 2m and rotates at a maximum speed of 160rpm.
    Cost 24million dollars...

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/planetsolar/

notice any patterns here?

2. windboat

windboat Junior Member

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/diypower-boat/article?mid=19

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

newcomers take note

it has been determined that the wind boat specified is not a worthy investment opportunity

among other problems, the design will not function as specified and it would far exceed its projected costs

please read the entire thread before considering this as a viable investment opportunity

4. windboat

windboat Junior Member

cargo ship need less power

In cargo ship , 1 hp of power will push one MT more, to reach economic speed about 12 kts. In this, you are right. But you forgot,it will take 3-10
    mins to accelerate speed. This will be the major barrier in market, if the project useing 10KW motor. The Hull design needs US$10,000 . Do you think
    it is worthwhile to spent? There is no sponsor right now.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sorry Wind but there are no sponsors for a reason, your calculations are a mile off and the project is doomed to be underfunded and off its design specs. Everyone has tried to tell you and for some bizarre reason your simply ignoring all advice

6. windboat

windboat Junior Member

does PlanetSolar can go into mass production?

Our concept is overmatch in cost. Our project will be mass production to foresee, if our proto boat running well.
    Re, the size of motor. If you insist to have smaller one (10KW) , that fine.
    The cost will less than USD95,000

7. groper

groper Senior Member

Wow, those are some big words coming from someone who has not even shown anything but a MSpaint sketch and overwhelming abundance of ignorance... :rolleyes:

As to the cost, how many yachts have you produced windboat? how do you figure your costings for this project? show us a breakdown of each component and how much each part costs... or shall we just handover $95,000USD with only your impressive drawing to go on?

8. windboat

windboat Junior Member

X prize foundation

Before , Brother Wright made the first fly. Their idea is bizarre to the public.
    Since, you are in the U.S. , would you introduce our project to the X prize foundation. They might be interested.

9. windboat

windboat Junior Member

TRUST account

You do not have to handover $95,000USD to me . If you have spare money,
    you can have a trust account to complete the project.

10. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Kind of reminds me of one of these from freshman Physics:

[​IMG]

They've already invented efficient wind powered boats:

[​IMG]

Can anyone explain why the foils of the wind turbine charging batteries, going through a controller and then turning a 150kw electric engine to drive a prop is more efficient than the foil of a sail?

11. groper

groper Senior Member

$95,000 windboat ==> [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

OK I"m in
    send me a complete set of plans and I"ll build one here to go with the one your building there, I've got a great handle on parts and I'm building a hull anyway, I'm going to need a little funding of course in order to pull off your idea in my boat, probably best if you just write out a check to Boston, ( its actually my legal name ) and send it to my business address. Which I'll PM you. Am really looking forward to the project. ;-) I"m positive this will win that Darwin award you suggested.

13. srimes

srimes Senior Member

I can't believe this scammer still has positive rep. It's one thing to leave the everyday idiots alone, but the ones trying to swindle people should be flagged.

14. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

No no. You don't get to use that. Other people who are giving you advice know the dilemmas BETTER than you and and GIVE you suggestions based on KNOWLEDGE.

Nothing to do with Wright brothers. Yes they might have been stubborn people but stubborn is not why their plane flew. Stubborn can be valuable fuel for innovation but ignorance is more powerful retardant.

You have an idea that doesn't work as you suggest. Any naval architect (heck even I almost) can do at least rough calculations to get much more realistic starting point.

You somehow think that people are willing to get a boat that:

-Weighs much more than comparable
    -Has interior layout broken up by cumbersome windmill apparatus
    -has far inferior handling due to challenging center of gravity and extra weight due to the windmill gear
    -has practical operation capacity of 1-2 hours per week. Not averaged but max.

and despite using technology that is not off the shelf and standard you claim that you can make such boat cheaper than anybody else even though you have proven that you lack grasp of very basic naval concepts.

There would be nothing green about such boat either. Tons of lead acid to replace annual fuel consumption of 300kg diesel.

(50 weeks, 20kw, 1h per week, 300g/kwh consumption)

When all is said and done the diesel is probably better for the environment and the boat will handle much better.

Mind you even at 1$ per kg fuel cost in 10 years it will add up to 3,000$. How much did your batteries cost again and how many times will lead acid need replacing in 10yr time.

15. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

I didn't say that 10kW would be OK. Neither did I forget anything relating to acceleration, it is you who seem not to understand basic physics. Using your example of a 5000kg boat, then the power needed to accelerate from a standstill to 10kts in 10 seconds with no hull resistance would be around 1.3kW. Add in the effect of hull resistance and this power figure will increase (or the time taken will increase), but 10kW would almost certainly still get a 5000kg hull to 10kts in 10 to 15 seconds, assuming that the hull waterline length was such that 10kts was below the onset of significant wave making drag. The calculation of the power required to accelerate a mass in a given time to a given speed is very simple, ( P = (M (v²-u²) )/(2 delta t) ), so I am surprised by your quote of "3 - 10 mins" as the acceleration time, as it, like your other figures, is massively in error.

You seem to be unaware of the power requirements of boat hulls of differing types. In fact I don't think you even have an elementary understanding of the issue. Hull resistance for a displacement hull is primarily driven by two factors, viscous drag (which is proportional to wetted area) and wave making drag (which is related to waterline length). Make your hull long for the required displacement and wave making drag will be low. Hull shape then has to be optimised for minimum wetted area whilst maintaining a shape that gives adequate stability for the desired range of load conditions and low form drag. Generally this means making a hull that is canoe-like in shape.

You cannot just make direct comparisons with the power requirement of cargo ships, as boats do not accurately scale in this way in terms of power requirement. You need to read some basic books on hull design and hydrodynamics, or better still recruit a proper designer to do this work for you. Until you have the hull design optimised, and so understand how much power will be required to drive it over the desired range of operating conditions, you are just wasting your time.

Fast sailing boats operate on very low power levels, do the simple calculations (as I suggested earlier in this thread) and you may be surprised at how little power even a big sailing boat extracts from the wind.

As we all keep telling you, do some basic calculations and you will see just what is needed to achieve your objective. Continuing to make wild, ill-informed and grossly inaccurate guesses as to power, drag etc is wasting everyone's time, including your own.

You will not get any investors until you can correct the fundamental errors in your work so far, even then I think you will struggle with the concept you're suggesting. This forum has widespread readership around the world so you can be fairly sure that any potential investor will come across the words written here whilst doing due diligence checks and see that you are not interested in understanding even simple physics, let alone complex boat system design.

Jeremy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.