Build A Power Boat , Powered By Wind

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by windboat, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

thank you. I didn't bother searching but remember that algae farms would have to cover insane areas to create meaningful amount of energy.

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel

guess you did not look very far, DOE already spoken quite positively on algae for fuel.

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100510151356.htm

and

I am not alone in realizing the importance of understanding how plants work, which apparently they know more is involved that some high school science class knowledge. understanding is key to knowledge, simple minds come up with simple understatements which they translate into universialities. However the underlying mechanisms are much more complex and only beginning to be truly understood.

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I am not saying it is not important.

I will read more about algae production when I get a chance.

I do have 2 points:
    -there is no way that a plant is close to 100% efficient in using sunlight. Radiated heat, reflection etc. Will amount to significant number alone even if the actual chemical process was efficient.
    - 1/7 of corn fields is HUGE. Organizing that to be irrigated/pools what nots, collect the algae etc. we are talking about infrastructure that will make major dent in the total efficiency.

Don't take me wrong - I am very much pro new knowledge and green energy. However I think that in that field we get so much irresponsibly inflated claims or facts taken out of context that the credibility really suffers.

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Algae can grow in salt water.
    Algae could grow in desert or unarable lands.
    There is plenty of room to grow algae for fuel and as the DOE says, on 1/7th of the land used for corn to REPLACE all the fossil fuels. So it can be done and I think should be done.

Look up DARPA Algae oil and they talk of big yields, breakthrough technology in algae oil production.

we are talking of the underlying mechanism, the part that actually takes photons and makes more plant, not about sun light blocked by rain, clouds, dirty leaves, etc... I wont argue with the researchers when they say close to 100%, they are not lying.

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

http://biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2...lgal-fuels-headed-for-1-50-mgy-scale-by-2011/

I cant argue with what they say. DARPA is saying algae yields they are getting are large. US military plans to grow a lot of oil to meet operational needs. They consider oil a strategic and serious supply threat.
    More power to them, as they get more oil from algae, means more oil for civilian use and lower prices.
    I have read a lot about this and read that DARPA is sharing this for civilian usage, so I expect the oil crisis is over. Just have to get through the next several years until production ramps up. I would like to see MORE awareness of these new breakthroughs being talked about, but the public press is rather silent.

7. windboat

windboat Junior Member

It a burden in cost for this tiny project

Do you remember our project cost? It's USD95,000 , Hulls' calculations will
    cost about US$10000. However, for this kind private use small boat. We
    can refer to similar boat types. 50' sail boat , 48' yacht, 13M solar boat
    The results will not go too far. These are burdens:

Hull Lines
    , General Arrangement, specification of hull
    , Hydrostatic Analysis Table
    4 B016 Inclining Test Calculation Report
    5 B111 Preliminary Stability Calculation Report 6 B112 Final Stability Calculation Report
    7 H002 Midship & Typical Sections, Deck to hull joint
    8 H020 Scantling Profile, Hull Sides and Bottom, Deck & Deckhouse construction, FRP Lamination schedule 9 H300 Calculation on Structure design
    10 H327 Pillars & Girders, Watertight & Tank Bulkheads,
    Joint of BHD to hull & deck, Engine Foundations 11 H710 FRP Material Test Results and Reports
    12 H070 Rudder & Rudder Stock design and Construction 13 H093 Shaft Struts design and Construction
    14 H009 Fuel Oil Tank Construction
    15 H011 Seachests

16 F230 Closing appliances for Decks & Cabin Houses,
    hatch, side scuttle, portlight, door, window

18 F006 Windlass maker specification, Anchoring & Mooring Arrangement
    19 M120 Engine Room Layout Plan
    20 M028 Main Engine & Reduction Gear, maker specification, Specification of machinery

21 M124 Arrangement of Propulsion System, shafting
    22 M022 Engine room Ventilation,
    Details of Engine Exhaust System, Fans

23 M007 Steering Gear System, maker specification
    24 M170 Pumps and Piping System,
    fuel, fresh water, bilge, seawage

25 E500 Electric Equipment arrangement, Electric Particulars
    26 E002 Electrical Systems, Wiring diagram of AC&DC
    27 F250 Fire Extinguisher System

28 E001 Electric Power load analysis

29 E101 Generator sets, maker specification

30 B300 Speed and Power Prediction, Propeller design

31 B001 3D Style Deck , Deck house lofting
    32 H013 Sea Trial performance test report

33 B111 Trim and Stability Report(Intact Static Stability)
    34 B122 Damage Stability Report

35 B005 Stability assesment at Wind and Waves

36 B112 Weight and LCG Estimation Report

8. windboat

windboat Junior Member

Electric motor is beter

Bio-fuel create waste gas and a lot of vibration too.

9. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Lol. Thanks for the laugh. Building a 13m hull for 10,000. Not even close by a factor of 10.

The wind turbine alone is 10,000.
    Most boats this size have 30-40,000 in electronics
    The engine is going to cost you 10,000

You are off by an order of magnitude from your manufactured cost.

10. windboat

windboat Junior Member

10,000 is the design fee for a lots of papers. Buy a Nissan leaf and take apart motor and controller will not cost much. Of course, $95,000 will not
    include some expensive electronics , ARPA radar, SAT phone, integration Nav.system

11. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

I thought you wanted a 100kW motor? The Nissan Leaf has a motor that is rated for 80kW peak and which runs at an average power of around 12kW. It absolutely will not run at 100kW and will not run at its peak power rating of 80kW for more than a few minutes without over-heating. I thought you had already dismissed having a 12kW (continuous rating) motor as being inadequate?

If you don't believe me, then look at the Nissan Leaf battery capacity. It's just 24kWh, yet will run the car for a couple of hours or more at cruise speed, so the average motor power has to be 12kW or less.

We keep telling you to do some basic calculations here before you go any further, as everything you have suggested so far has been massively in error, yet not once have you taken the slightest bit of notice of the advice you have been given. If you're not going to take heed of advice, why post here?

You cost estimates now seem to be as optimistic as your performance estimates, which makes this seem more of an unachievable dream than a realistic proposal.

Jeremy

12. groper

groper Senior Member

so i suppose the remaining 85,000 WILL include everything else to finish the boat wont it? :rolleyes: how many man hours do you think it will take to build this "windboat"...? and how much per hour is skilled shipwright cost in taiwan?

If you, by some miracle, manage to get this thing built regardless of cost - i will fly past your boat (tacking upwind) in a composite sailing catamaran which cost half as much money and has unlimited range and much better speed, because my boat is not carrying +4000kgs of batteries, wiring, electric motors and other UNNESSESARY energy wasting equipment to propel my vessel... i will also not be wearing eaf muffs to isolate the incessant, irritating beating noise of the wind turbine- instead ill be enjoying the resounding silence of the ocean lapping gently against the hulls as the breeze fills my sails...

I wonder if i can retrofit a windmill on top of my toyota PRIUS to help boost my fuel ecconomy? you see, whilst im driving, the apparent wind speed could be used to generate extra energy to offest the energy used to move the car in the first place.... will anyone finance my "windcar" idea? we could all get rich together???

You are DELUSIONAL mate... lay off the drugs...

13. backyardbil

backyardbil Junior Member

It's quite possible for a windmill on top of any vehicle (boat or car) connected to prop or wheels, to be able to have thrust greater than drag in a wind. Meaning it can travel directly against the wind. This has been shown many times. However, there NEEDS to be a wind. Just the apparent wind from motion is not enough. see this page http://www.sailwings.net/objections.html

14. windboat

windboat Junior Member

All motors are rated as it work at peak

I been taught in school that"All motors are rated as it work at peak" It should not be the average power.
    And these boat operated in clam water only 13meter long ,dead 5000KGS have 2 pcs of 20KW motors.

http://news.cts.com.tw/cts/english/201009/201009150562760.html
    http://www.englishintaiwan.com/services/green-energy-boat-tours/solar-energy-bike-rental-genewu

A 100 kw motor is slightly insufficient for our boat operated in coastal water.

15. windboat

windboat Junior Member

Ev cars have feed back energy function, as you step on brakes

And these boat operated in calm water only 13meter long ,dead weight 5000KGS have 2 pcs of 20KW motors.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.