Build A Power Boat , Powered By Wind

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by windboat, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windboat

windboat Junior Member

Our design is better than that one

Our boat will low down the wind turbine at sailing. As the boat stoped for
    diving or fishing or other reasons. The boat can stretch out wind turbine to
    get some energy. Since the boat is for leisure useage. There is no need for
    hurry up arrive certain point.

2. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

Well, Ive held my peace long enough. This has looked like a version of 419(nigerian)-letter from the start. The "design" you 'windboat' like to call it, looks like it is drawn in MS Paint, by a kid from kindergarden. A lot of well experienced people here have spent their free time trying to give you good advice on how to go forward (or abandon) with the project and given you calculations that show the performance you'll have. Yet you keep claiming your "design" works and that people should give you money to make it. Wake up.

Just my 2 cents worth
    Lurvio

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

You're adding camplexity and cost to an already expensive and practically useless ship.

Most likely due to a mechanical, hydraulical or electrical failure of one of too many systems on board, or simply because it has unexpectedly ran out of energy.

It will have to be an almost 3 days long diving or fishing session for each hour of navigation, as Jeremy Harris has so clearly explained to you.

You are over-estimating people's patience and amount of free-time available.

Put yourself in boat-owner's skin: Even if the cost wasn't an issue (and it will be a HUGE issue in this case), would you buy a boat which allows you to cover just 10 nm before stopping to drop-dead halt and forcing you to stay there (wherever you are) for 2 1/2 days before another 10 nm can be travelled?

Two more questions: when you say "we have designed a boat", what exactly do you mean? What data, drawings, info and documentation do you offer to a potential investor, apart the elementary sketch shown here? That's the very first question he (the investor) will ask you. Do YOU feel confident (through proven calculations) that this concept works and can be marketable? That's the whole issue here.

4. GTS225

GTS225 Junior Member

DING! DING! DING!.....I think we have a winner!! ;)

5. windboat

windboat Junior Member

The flexibility in design of this project

You and Jeremy are right. A 150KW motor seems too big in practical use.
    There for, I will adopt 100kw motor for the boat. Re the battery, if we use
    deep cycle battery. The capacity is 80% in 20-30 C. Check this:
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/Trojan-T105RE-specs.pdf
    Since the 5KW wind turbine is not heavy (less than 80KGS), it is better to carry it. Imaging you are visiting desert island with the boat. It is immpossible to plug -in to recharge batteries.

6. windboat

windboat Junior Member

The new spec.

Wind Boat Spec: Length 16m Width:3.8m draft:1.5m Height:4.5m(upper deck)
    10m (main mast), monohull

power: 100 kW electric motor
    battery: 90 pcs deep cycle batteries (100Ah 12V)=3000KGs
    wind turbine : 5kw

Project total cost(estimate):US$95,000

7. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

What....EVAAAAA!!!

8. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

This guy just doesn't get it, even after having been repeatedly pointed in the right direction to go to select an appropriate hull design, determine power requirements and then try and select a propulsion, energy storage and power generation system to match.

Either the guy's just a dreamer, and doesn't want to face reality (which is that batteries are big, expensive and store very small amounts of power compared to diesel or gasoline), or he's trying to work an investment scam.

If it's the latter, then it won't get far, as even the most naive investor will hopefully do some simple background checks on feasibility before investing.

The bottom line here has been stated several times. The power consumption for the required usage pattern HAS to be a close match to the energy storage capacity and the generation capacity HAS to be a close match to the idle time and wind availability.

At the moment this spec, even as revised, is way, way off. The realistic energy storage capacity is 90 x 12 x 100 = 108kWh. The Peukert factor in that (optimistic) deep cycle spec quoted is 1.25 (although my guess is that it'll be closer to 1.4 in practice), so the storage usable capacity with new batteries, assuming 100% discharge (which will kill them pretty quickly) will be 86kWh. For reasonably long life the batteries should really only be run to around 60 to 70% discharge, which further reduces usable capacity to around 56kWh. A 100kW motor at full power will drain the battery pack to this point in around 34 minutes...............

None of this stacks up as a viable system, in fact it doesn't come close to being realistically sized. For this size of motor the battery pack needs to be at least 6 to 10 times larger to deliver even a half way useful range/endurance and the wind generator then needs to be increased in size to give a realistic charge time whilst the boat is moored. Bear in mind that wind generators produce power in proportion to the cube of wind speed, so a 5kW wind generator rated at, say, 20kts of wind, will only deliver around 625 watts in a 10kt wind. To charge a 108kWh battery pack up from flat with a 5kW wind generator (rated at 20kts) in a 10kt wind will take around 173 hours, plus the additional charge time needed for cell balancing and to account for charging losses, so probably more like 200 hours or more (around 8 or 9 days).

As I've mentioned before, you need to do some basic sums, windboat, and then go and see if you can size things more appropriately for the usage profile of the boat that you have in mind. My guess is that you will find your ideas are not viable with the current level of battery technology, as others have tried and found out the hard way that systems such as the one you've proposed only work for a small range of very power-limited craft.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

And I thought I was the only one that got pissy over these sort of posts.

As a direct observation of your figures and expectations from this yacht including the projected project cost I can flatly say you're nuts. You haven't sufficient grasp on the fundamentals, in the various engineering disciplines, to make anything but napkin renderings of an imposable project. As to your "budget" you aren't even remotely close. A 100 KW motor will run to nearly 50% of your projected cost once you've got controls in place and you don't even want to discuss linkage, batteries and not to mention the costs of a 52' yacht build! I don't know about you Mr. Wind, but I've built 52' yachts and over seen the construction of 52' yachts and I'm telling you that you nuts.

10. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Windboat. After reviewing your sophisticated renderings and technical data, my company is very interested in financing your design. Before going further into a financial agreement I have a few simple questions.

How many miles can I travel on one charge of the batteries?

How long will it take to charge the batteries with an average wind speed of 10K?

Please submit the calculations you used to come to these answers so I can hand the info to my technical consultants.

Regards,

Dennis
    CEO
    Green Energy Alliance, Australia.

11. groper

groper Senior Member

im interested also, do you except western union money transfer for the investment funds to start the project?

12. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Windboat,

I would be more than happy to shop your project around to a number of investors I know. Please submit a tech sheet, along with a $20,000 initial retainer and I will be sure to try and sell your project to people.

Send checks and date to
    You must be crazy
    P.O. Box loon
    Not happening, Louisiana 70124

Check should be made out to- "completely unworkable boat project"

13. srimes

srimes Senior Member

Oo ooo, I can play too!

I represent a Nigerian Prince who is very concerned about the affects of Global Warming in Africa. He wishes to use some of his family's Great Wealth to invest in new Green Technologies that will benefit All Mankind. Alas, there is great Political Turmoil in the country and he is having some trouble accessing his account. I will gladly send you a Certified Cashiers Check for $210,000 American Dollars. Please keep $200,000 of it to build your wonderful boat and send back a personal check for $10,000 to help with the administrative issues. Thank you very much.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hey Srimes can you cut me one of those checks as well, there is this really cute girl at the bank and I'm thinking it might be a good ice breaker

speaking of ice breakers I'm pulling together some friends to all pitch in on a spec design of a micro nuclear phase converting ice breaker like vessel, works on the simple conversion of an exothermic nuclear reaction with the ice, should power itself once you get the reaction going, deal is we're a few bucks short on the plutonium and could use some help if anyone is interested. Its kinda a new concept in ice breakers but the reaction chamber is nearly complete. Would be really nice to see some participation on this one guys, not the usual skepticism, if you please.

anyway super secret scrambled prints of the new concept design are available upon receipt of funds with the necessary decoder ring being shipped separately

thanks
    B

ps
    sorry had to

15. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

I was thinking about putting alternating strips of aluminum and copper on the hull and hook them together to make a big battery and use the hull battery to charge the main house batteries to drive the electric motor for the boat - charge the house batteries all the time the boat is in salt water! And the copper should keep the growth off the boat - just like the old days of wooden ships. Free Free Power!!

I have a clock somewhere that works that way, so why not a boat?

No propeller thing to worry the passengers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.