budget shallow water boat project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rockfish, Nov 20, 2009.

1. rockfish

rockfish New Member

hey yall, just wanted to share my homemade jet project that i made with a screwdriver and a sawzall last winter, i put my kawasaski 650 in a 14ft alum boat. its soley purpose is to fish and access deeper holes in rivers when its shallow 1ft or less. the only problem i have is that the bow plows the water when i try to go faster, so i just cruise it at 1/4 throttle. i have moved all the weight to the back of the boat. i think its when i mated the jetski hull to the boat hull the intake was sucked up bout an inch, but it does 25 mph at 1/4 throttle and gets real good gas milege too. the only thin i got to watch out for is rocks, leaves and other floating debris is ok, it chopps it right out after some throttling. i just carry a long screwdriver for rocks. so far it lasted a season w no water leaks very reliable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

Good on you, a low budget experiment that has mostly turned out OK, and provides a successful solution to the skinny water problem. What is your investment, in both time and cash?

3. rockfish

rockfish New Member

well, i worked on it over the winter on and off till spring and i spent about 150 bucks in materials. the boat i bought for 300 bucks w trailer , and the ski i already had, but prolly worth 800 its a 88 kawi 650. i rebuilt the motor 10 years ago and rode it few times and its been parked ever since. the motor has around 50 hp w stainless steel impeller. the hardest part is to find the right boat, a boat with no center ribline. all in all this boat costs less than a cheapest outboard jet motor only. it performs better as well.
    btw. im in mid tn. too, the third pic down is a popular trout river.

4. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

Is that the Caney Fork below Center Hill Dam?

5. rockfish

rockfish New Member

yep, it is.....about 20 rivermiles below the dam. i never go upper river because thers too many waders and cannoe traffic in summer,i dont want to be rude and blast through right in front of them. so i usually fish below bettys to cumberland where the bigger fishes are.

6. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

I canoed from Dam to Betty's on 9-11 this year w/four friends -- it's a good river for old men like us.

7. Loafer

Loafer New Member

nice job rockfish-
    have you considered a drop down hydrofoil on the bow for your high speed runs in open water

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.