Brainstorming about yacht design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SViau, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

I like most of your style, (Except your crazy Magma hull, interesting concept, but is too jarring, and I would expcet it to become a production nightmare, not to mention what it takes to maintain, etc.)

Organik - Two points.
    First, very top deck in the rear appears to be just a roof? Is there not a cabin on that level? Why would you cut out a large percentage of open deck space for no apparent reason?
    Second, I feel your mast it too high. If you follow the shape of a curve on the front of the superstructure, you are left with it clipping into the mast about 2/3s to 1/2 way up. At least to my eye. Personally I think sloping it back a little and shortening it would make for a nicer looking design that flows better.

Safe - Your design for your launch cover is,... odd. Why not go with barrel style hoops that slide back? Would give a smoother, more rounded feel that would be lighter and stronger than the boxy structure you have currently. I do like the shuttering effect on it. But are those suppose to be polished plate, or heavy glass? Which way to they retract? I see this as an interesting enginnering issue. If they are stored above where they drop down, then you have a more secure, and easier to lower system, but you raise your ships center of gravity,...

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

With the premise that criticizing is always simpler than creating... ;)
    Ships sometimes need to operate in waters which have nothing to do with the oil-smooth surface that appear in renderings (in every rendering, not just yours).
    I invite you to make a thought experiment of this kind - consider how would your ships with those low freeboard, low-volume, vertical bows behave in a situation like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4PtgqI5Oc&hl=it
    Ok, it is a bit extreme - but even if you scale it somewhat down you can still imagine there could be problems. Unless you want to create yet another floating trailer home permanently moored in some marina in Côte d'Azur.

Apart that - your immagination, creativity and rendering abilities are very good indeed. :)

3. SViau

SViau Naval engineer / Designer

Interesting comments. Thanks ;)

To Luckless :

Organik was originally designed to receive hydrogen fuel cells, with big storage of H2 on board. This high mast was used in case of major leak in the cylinders to discharge H2 far from ignition sources such as deck lights and/or switches. I agree with you it can be reduced if final propulsion pack is more conventional.

The top deck of Organik is 100% dedicated to owner suite : balcony fwd, winter garden or lounge below the glass roof, and big cabin aft. The second open deck is not used for passengers, here again initially dedicated to receive solar cells for hot water and electricity production around arches.

There is a real engineering story behind this appearance, and things are not always here only for fun.

About SaFe, the final result is not the sexiest, but it is easy to build.
    The system is made of stainless steel curtains, sliding down to close bulwarks.
    That's the reason for bulky and massive shapes : space required to store the curtain. They are not armoured, but only closing the gap between decks, preventing from any hook being thrown and giving way on board.
    There are plenty of other systems to be considered - with the retractable hangar on fore deck and swinging roof on top deck, they are only a compromise. Here again, brainstorming... brainstorming.....

I made a grey version, just for fun, replacing the RIB by a MLG 27 gun. Surprise !!! :p

[​IMG]

To Daiquiri :

For sea keeping, I'm not worried about it.
    The free-board is not so low, as you can fear. The pictures below should make you more confident.

Anyhow, a sharp bow is not slamming like the fishing boat in the storm, but more wave-cutting, or wave-piercing.
    This is the reason for having no obstacle on the extrement fwd deck, and having a smooth profile for superstructure after the breakwater. THe flow will certainly come on deck, but nothing will stop him afterwards.
    At the end, I expect a more comfortable behaviour of the ship in rough-seas, keeping in mind this is a yacht and not a working boat obliged to go at sea everyday and by any sea state.

[​IMG]

Mary Slim example is interesting for that reason.

4. SViau

Super S coming out...

Length : 60.00m
    Displacement : <500 tons
    Speed : >50 kts
    Propulsion : 2 x diesel and steering hydrojets + 1 x gas turbine and booster jet

I'm waiting for Batman calling soon..... :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SViau

Do you prefer her blue and white suit ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

For SaFe, I was talking about the retracting cover on the foredeck, you should be able to do something similar with a less boxy look, maybe rounded arch curves that are wider, and using fewer of them.

Organik, what about keeping the mast height, but sweeping it back more to keep in line with the visual curve? H2 is also lighter than N2, so it will rise, you shouldn't need a mast all that high unless you are sailing it on a different planet.

Super S looks better in blue and white, black hides too many details and could be harder to spot.

Nice work.

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I really like Super S, particulary in blue Adidas dress. :)

8. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Obsidienne, Magma, and Iceburg are your best IMHO from a purely conceptual standpoint. I would be concerned about fluid flow around the topsides.

I think the interior of Cyclop would be terrific, but the outward appearance makes me want to barf. Sorry.

Really though, your renderings of Magma totally blew me away. That vessel is very very cool (even one of my kids said 'awesome').

Don't listen to anyone telling you your talents are wasted. They are not. Keep up the fantasy.

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

SViau

Ed Dubois in Hampshire, UK is advertsing for staff...try them.

..or if you want to do just structural work..Palmer Johnson in Hythe, UK

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  10. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Ad Hoc

That's interesting news. Palmer Johnson is headquartered on my side of the Pond in Wisconsin.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Dreamer

PJs are busy, but of course not as busy as they were several months ago. They, like many, struggle to find good quality structural draughtsman.

12. SViau

Thank you for these encouraging comments :)
    I got a good contact past month for one of my concepts - I expect contractual issue to come out end 2009 - early 2010 for preliminary study and shipyard consultancy. I cross my fingers as much as I can.......

13. SViau

Concerning MAgma, hull is smooth up to 50cm above WL, and first panels are in recess and not protruding, which should not interfere with water flow.
    After tank testing, it is easy to define what is the lower part of the hull to keep faired, with bow and stern waves.

14. Barron

Barron Junior Member

All are very nice designs, my favorite is Obsidienne

15. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

my concern would not be for water (fluid) flow over the hull, but air (fluid) flow over the hull. On a vessel that size in a headwind, those cool protrusions would cause some serious windage. Perhaps having them aft-facing would help, but it would still cause turbulance.

Still very cool looking in any case.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.