Boxy Fisher Catamaran idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fanie, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Trev, we usually put most of the fish back - but you've got it wrong. It's much better to keep some of the smaller fish for the pan and let the big ones go. The big ones knows what to do to keep the smaller ones comming and doesn't become lunch as easy as the small ones does.

I've had a look at maaa-ha-ha-ha-ny anchor types, as well as the rocna. Very similar to the one in my pic and embed itself as easy.

As for the model, the hull's I've reglassed over with polyester resin and some cloth. Just glassed some of the other parts as well so maybe a bit later today I can screw some parts together and float it in the pool. Wife keeps the pool clean, and she is always thrilled if I test my contraptions there ;)

I still have to construct the cabin - seems this will be the most difficult part to make.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

This how far I got with it -

Not much wind around the sea I mean pool area. At least it's floating.

Middle pic, note the roller furling
    Fully battened main sail, courtesy of the wife.
    Last pic, a lost puff of wind and the boxy fisher slides. ( sideways)

I need a rudder on this thing. How big ?

Attached Files:

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I played with the hulls a bit in the pool before hoisting the sail.

It seems the hull have a certain max speed when I push it over the water. Harder push no more speed, just pushes more water up the front. Couldn't find two baby outboards to test the motorized side of it in my junk box, but it may well plain if enough power and the bottoms are flat enough, but I almost doubt if it will. I'll just stick to the displacement part of it, I'm sure it will do just fine. Just moving it around without trying to go fast is like effortless.

The little cat is extremely light on the water. If the real thing is going to be this light you may well blow it on yourself if there's no wind. Maybe add a solar powered fan to the accessories ;) I may have to lift the rear part to clear out of the water to reduce drag.

It also seemed more stable than what I imagined it would be. I've played with two mono hull boats before that was intended for bait boats and both were larger than the boxy fisher, though not nearly as stable. I can load it quite a bit, to get it deep in the water you have to push quite a bit, relative of course.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I finally got some info on trailable items on our .za roads. Max dimensions without special permits etc - width 2m500, height 4m and length including towing vehicle 22m.

This changes my perception of the boxy fisher somewhat. I would much rather lengthen it to 10m instead of the 8m previous assumed. I have to work out the extra weight, amount of work, space and also have to take into consideration the trailers design amongst other things.

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

6. tuks

tuks Junior Member

Where did you find the information about towing? I have built a trailer which I want to send through roadworthy, it would be usefull to see the regulations?

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Tuks - One of my cutomers knows someone in the trafic dept. They are full of crap with privately built trailers - I think it's to prevent Philamon and friends to arc-weld a concoction together and trailer it. You have to have refective tape all around. Best would be to take the trailer to an inspection centre and have them check it out first.

What goes on the trailer ?

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I've played some more with boxy in the pool. Can make her sail up and downwind, I must say if a gust hits the blanket I mean sail the butts lift out of the water and she motors at quite a rate. I can imagine one can fall off a rig if it pulls away like this in real life. I have currently set the sails to use an aft mast configuration. I'll give the front mast and boom a go a bit later on to see what the differences are.

9. tuks

tuks Junior Member

The trailer is for a small keellboat. I spoke to the engineering guy up the road who builds trailors and he says its all because there have been alot of deaths on the Pietersburg highway from these guys overloading trailors. A Venter trailer rated for 400kg loaded with 1000kg of building rubble and chickens dosent handle potholes too well.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I know exactly what you mean. We once travelled the Pietersburg highway one eavening to find hordes of taxi's towing each other (without lights on the towed taxi of course) I guess they figured they save on fuel if they tow one onother :eek: And no bloody speed cop in sight as per usual.

Could I have the name and number of your guys that builds trailers ? I have to get some info for when I tackle the boxy's trailer...

11. tuks

tuks Junior Member

No problem, Next time im up there I will get his number for you.

12. tuks

tuks Junior Member

Off topic, but its really cool

Hey Fanie, I remembered this website, I stumbled upon a few year ago. I think you might find it inspirational.

How that came about

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thanks Tuks

The wife tried to move the boxy's model off the chest freezer and the screws pulled out of the polystirene. Gave me a good excuse to make some hull covers.

Currently hugely frustrated - I did a calculation on the foam and the quotes I got is far more expensive than what I anticipated. I may go to the factory tomorrow and see if I can get better prices. Also, the woman quoted me on 4mm material which is rediculous. Why, oh why do they always have such an uninformed persons working in technical environments ?

I still have to take some things in consideration if the boxy is going from 8m to 10 meters long. I haven't heard much response from anyone other than Tuks. Maybe I should stop posting progress (if any) if no one is interested, save me the time typing.

14. achipmunk

achipmunk Junior Member

have you tried to get a patent..

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Why ? And on what ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.