Bow strength in a storm

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Richard Petersen, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Do modern sailboats of all types have a bow cleat, post or strongman to take the strain of riding out a storm by paying out anchor or a seabag?

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Where would you otherwise secure your anchorline, if you doesn't have a strongpoint in your stern section?

3. I am asking about the strength of the anchor point. Not where. To reach over the bow on my boat and then hang upside down in breaking seas would break ribs for sure. I have never pushed it in my boats. I do not know if that shiney eye is going to hold up. It just looks so small. When, if ever, do they pull out. What is the back up procedure, if any.

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Correction: stemsection. If it is for your runabout, Cranchi from Italy had a D bracket mounted through the stem - that is what I remember from my 2nd boat,
    long time ago. Not through your thin deck, unless sufficiently reinforced,

5. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

This will sound odd...

Hello...

I think I know what you are concerned about here - wave lift and dragging the hook...

If your cleats or other forward deck hardware are not backed up by good non ferrous metal or wood backing plates - this is what I do - cause my little production boat is same...

I throw the hook - pull it snug - let the boat back in the wind to lay the chain - secure a loop in the anchor line and do some half hitches or 'grannie throws' and shackle a 'warp' or 'bungee' chord between these that will take the assumed height of the oncoming waves before making fast to the boat...

I like to think that a good pay of rope plus the 'spring' effect will leave the hook be...

And I would not know if I just made any sense... :)

SH.

6. It is in the stem section, about 6" above the boat empty, water line. Does any AGENCY ever subject that eye to a sustained test? Or do they say it looks O K. And let it go at that due to cost and diffuculty of the sea test.

7. The larger old woodies use a heavy rubber shock cord when docked. They are the size of my wrist. I will do some calc. of shock loads, and pick up 2, and practice doing your routine in a good chop. Thanks, I appreciate the help, Rich.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

One of the more tedious jobs for the designer or engineer is calculating the loads on gear and rigging. Compressive, tensional, sheer and elasticity qualities all need come into compliance when sizing the parts and pieces that make up the hardware list on a particular yacht design. There are some guide lines to use, also standards as well as general rules and formulas that apply in these calculations.

Typically, a small runabout bow eye may be able to provide the overall strength to lift several times it's displacement, full up. This isn't the case in larger craft where the size of the piece will be sized for the expected load, plus a fudge margin. As a rule, the individual pieces are sized to the loading of it's assembly or the assembly it will be working with. A large vessel's mooring bit may not tolerate the load of several of the boat's displacement, like the little runabout, but will be sized to be adequate for riding a hook in storm conditions or withstanding the jerks of a much larger tow vessel in a choppy sea. And yes, there are several agency's standards that may come to bear on the application.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.