bow bulb design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 8knots, Dec 18, 2003.

1. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

This is the only definitive English-language translation of a broader work by Mr. Kracht on bulbous bow design. This section of his greater work covers only a small range of block coefficient hull forms. The complete work is published in German in another naval architectural proceedings. I have tried to get a copy of the original, but it is expensive (I'd have to buy the whole book, then have it translated). However, it seems to be the definitive work in the public domain for bulbous bow design. I referred to it heavily in my design of the bulbous bows on my line of Moloka'i Strait motoryachts.

Eric

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Bulb bows

There is a ton of work on bulb bows in general though. There is a good general reference on ship resistance, including bulbs, that is part of the same series as Bhattacharya's book on ship motions.

Some of the most interesting are part of the recent papers in Transactions (2001 I think) by Francis Noblesse. He has a pretty simple method for optimizing bulbs without using viscosity, which seems to at least order the hull forms right - that is, it doesn't correctly predict the actual resistance, (no surprise given no viscosity) but it correctly predicts which hull is best.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.