Book about fast planing hulls

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fede, May 17, 2005.

1. fede

fede Senior Member

Hi guys, the question is:
    Does a book entirely devoted to fast planing hull design exist?????
    As far as I know the most up to date material can be found in Elements of yacht design...but that's a chapter in an entire book....well done...but missing a lot of stuff.
    Some material on tunnel hulls exist...but that's on tunnel hulls...
    Any suggestions??

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Peter du Cane's "High Speed Small Craft" would be the one, but it is long out of print. There are second-hand copies available from time to time, though...

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Lawrence Doctors has a book through Virginia Tech, Peter Payne had a book out too, and there is Lindsay Lord's book, there is also a SNAME T&R book by Blount and Koebel, and the SNAME small craft CD has a lot of good stuff.

I wonder though how much interest there is - Dick Akers and I have been talking about doing one, but we wonder if we could actually sell any to anyone but our relatives.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Chris,

If you write such a book, I will certainly buy it and I am not a relative.

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Seems to me that there is no really "modern" books available for high speed crafts design, there is a lot, and I mean a lot of sailboat design books, bad and good, but a truly new modern book for high speed craft I can't recall one, I would like to see something on the line of the propeller handbook for example, I think is very straight forward, easy to read and follow, (leaving at side the content, just talking about the way the book is wrote), is really good, Barry, it can be called "the Bible of high speed crafts", : )

But seriously, a book, with theory and worked examples (which many books, lacks of) for high speed crafts should be a hit.

Save me one!

6. fede

fede Senior Member

I would buy it!
    A book like element of yacht design but exclusively on planing crafts (from a to z including scantling props etc) would be a dream,there is a huge quantity of material around but dated and on 1000 different books and papers.
    999 of wich are out of print!

7. tcma66

tcma66 New Member

I too would be interested in buying such a book.

8. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

While picking the eyes out of various books or papers I have often come to the thought: why has no-one produced a power boat design book along the lines of Principles of Yacht Design (Larsson and Eliasson).
    Apparently the second edition has something about power boats, I don't know how much.
    The language used is quite readable, but there is depth and background to the presented ideas. There is little prior knowledge assumed - math, science, engineering methods etc - in contrast to academic papers.

My 2.8 cents (exchange rate)

Rob.

9. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

I believe Don Blount is working on a book as well.

It would be great if someone could collect all the papers, ProBoat articles etc. and put an up to date book together. Probably not a New York Times best seller, but it would sure put the author on the map in this industry!!

I believe one of the big problems with IBEX is that instead of publishing papers through SNAME or wherever, most papers are presented at IBEX where they may or may not be published in ProBoat. It seems a lot of valuable info is lost. When was the last time SNAME, Michigan, or anyone else had a power boat symposium? It has been a while.

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Peter Du Canes book is written after WW II and about the British P T Boats and very usefull IFF you are able to use brutal logic to apply his thoughts. How many of us would really build a experimental boat that does + 45 knots and weighs + 20 tons? His suggestions have merit. But plastic, ready to go wins out everytime we buy a boat. Few of us are that much of a frustrated boat designer, to learn all that has brought us to the safe and cost efficient boats sold today. I am a nut. I am using some of his ideas with the expectation that what I build will be slower than plastics of today. It will be just as safe. I am proving something to myself and could not care less about what others may think of my goal and finished results. His book is about V mono hulls, period. You will get a good laugh in the propulsion section. Nothing is available today. Yes , you are totally responsibile for the safety of anyone on a self designed boat.

11. ars-technica

ars-technica Naval Architect

Fede
    write to Donald Blount, and ask him to send you all his pubblication according to your needs.There are very theoretical pubblication but there are all you can learn about....(by a book)....
    Ciao

12. fede

fede Senior Member

Ciao Gio!
    Thanks,done it...very kind people I found what I was looking for.

13. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

Powerboat Design

Check out the Secrets of Tunnel Boat Design book from AeroMarine Research. The book was originally written with tunnel hulls in mind, but includes much detail about all performance planing hull design - including the history and development of vee-hull and modified vee hull design. The new book now includes the complete history of tunnel boat design, the design of propellers, the history of the modified-vee hull, and the Ten Steps To Performance Powerboat Design. (also see review at Scream&Fly, and "DockTalk" review in Family and Performance Boating, July 2005 issue)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.