Body plan designing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Laranjo123, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Laranjo123

Laranjo123 Previous Member

how do i draw/form my bodyplan. From the sectional area curve and lwl curve? Anyone? Please i'm stuck at this point .

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Calculate the area within each section, plot this figure vertically on each corresponding station line, then spring a curve through all the points. Any common dimension will do, so long as they are the same. For example if the second station (the first should be zero) is 12 cubic whatevers, then mark that station 12 something or others off the base line or centerline. Each ordinate is representative of the area in that station, so the curve represents the area. Do you have text books to work from?

3. Laranjo123

I already have the sectional area and the LWL curve but i'm trying to research that taylor's series? On how to deal with it but it seem i have no luck to find one. books i do have the merchant ship design but i'm still trying to figure it out to make sure i'll send a pic. of my SAC and LWLC.

4. Laranjo123

This are my coefficients please check them. :)
    LOA=45.8 m
    LWL=40 m
    B=9 m
    D=5 m
    d=2.36 m

My Curves
    [​IMG]
    My Curves

My Sectional Area Coefficients
    [​IMG]

My Lwl Curve Coefficients
    [​IMG]

5. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I think you should spend less time asking questions here and much more time studying!

2 people like this.
  6. Laranjo123

I've been doing that sir. I study then i ask professionals like you to check my work if it's wrong or correct that's all sir.

7. PAR

I would think with your instructors would be the logical place to have your work checked . . .

8. Laranjo123

Yah but his also busy though. Anyways thank you mr.par. I think i'll work this on by days and have it check to my instructor. Thanks again:)

9. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Sorry, but a question like "How do I draw/form my bodyplan" is so basic that it can only come from someone who's not been studying much... The same applies to most of your other questions.
    What exactly are you studying and how far have you come?

10. Laranjo123

I am a 5th year NAME and yes i know how to draw the bodyplan but i want to know the other methods. I am not familiar to yachts. Because we are dealing the type of ship that of those merchant ships. I am only familiar to Tankers, Gen.Cargo, Bulk etc. Except this yachts. I am stuck drawing my shiplines i am using autocad and maxsurf. But still the curves are somewhat not straight. I have chosen this yacht as a thesis because the first time i saw this i was amazed by it's architecture. The structure makes me wonder and the texture itself. Because i compared this to merchant ships. Yes it different and very challenging for me. Anyways thx. And i think i'll stop from visiting this forum. Thx guys for helping me out.

11. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I didn't mean to scare you away!
    The shapes of container vessels and tankers are different, but the lines are drawn using the same principles.
    When designing yachts, you usually apply a different method. In most cases, you don't have a Sectional Area Curve, so you first draw up a set of lines, then you determine the displacement, LCG, Cp etc. If they don't correspond to the values you need, there are different ways of "distorting" the lines in order to end up with something useful.
    But I still think your questions are very basic - especially for someone who's been studying for 5 years!

1 person likes this.
  12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I agree with sorenfdk, you have been asking question that indicate a lack of basic understanding. After five years, you should have no problem with them. How did you pass your exams?

13. Lister

Lister Previous Member

Probably like you Gonzo.
    Don't be mean, the guy seams to know a lot in one narrow field. and that happens more and more in the study of naval architecture.
    The renaissance man of naval architecture do not exist anymore.
    The term naval architect lost is connotation of broad knowledge and design, like on the land architect.
    lister

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am not trying to be mean. It is worrisome, however, that someone with little knowledge is designing ships. Five years into NA school, he is ready to get his Master's.

15. PAR

This is a trend I've seen growing in recent years, in particular parts of the world. These same portions of the world, seem to also have a disproportionate number of ferry capsizes too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.