Boat trailer in wood ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jfblouin, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Does somes ones try to build a boat trailer in wood ?

It is possible for a 3000 lbs boat?

I can't find technical info on WEB!!

2. gerard baladi

gerard baladi Junior Member

Seen it, Done it.
    Use the shipping cradle of the boat, add 2 axles and 4 tires and you can use it to trailer your boat in and out of the water.
    NOT TO BE USED ON THE ROAD.

3. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

I want to design one that I can use on road

4. gerard baladi

gerard baladi Junior Member

Sorry, can't help you there. I would imagine that a wooden trailer be fragile, and be a risk on the road.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Why?

As in why not? how far will it go? why would you want to? etc:confused:

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You won't be able to get a wooden trailer certified for road travel in Quebec. Wood components, sure- the bunks, for instance. But the frame itself is just under too much stress, no wood in the world is stiff enough to haul a tonne and a half of boat along Highway 40. Wood flexes too much- the trailer would bend and twist over bumps, and the weight of the boat would bend it in the middle no matter how thick your boards are. To get thick enough boards for it not to bend would make the trailer so tall you couldn't get the boat onto it. (For reference- the elastic modulus, ie. stiffness, of a typical hardwood is 8-12 GPa, compared to ~200 GPa for steel.)

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You would have a very difficult time getting a registration for one in the states too. Each state will have it's idea of what's acceptable. I've seen wooden trailers, mostly on very light weight craft, but they got around the registration thing be calling it antique.

A 3,000 pound boat will require a tandem and make the trailer 2/3's as heavy as the boat.

Certainly, it could be engineered strong enough, but the weight issue would make dragging it down the road (and up steep, slippery ramps) the efforts of a diesel duelly. It's a novel idea, but not practical in this size.

8. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I want to analyse that because I have plenty of wood and I have hability in work with wood , wood adhesive and epoxy.

Steel cost me a lot more and I have to pay someone for welding. I have to add galvanize cost too.

In their book on boat trailer (p.37), Glen-L write that it is possible to make boat trailer in wood with 3x8 for a 2000 pounds boat. They add "Trailer frames for heavier boats were renforced with a 1x8 lamination..." and "these trailers have had extensive use without problems".

They plant a seed in my brain. Your are true with strench data on wood and I have the same apprehension with wood for trailer.

I just try to have testimony of wooden boat trailer maker. If Glen-L write that in a book since 10 years it is possible that some other crazy like my had try that!!!

For wooden frame, I think about a I-beam shape wood frame.

Thanks for your time

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Check out Glenn-L, there are a few there.

10. lewisboats

Whatdayaknow!!! Senior Member! I must talk too damn much.:rolleyes:

11. lewisboats

sorry, seems I was wrong...Maybe it was removed:confused: :mad:

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

JF, if you're comfortable working with wood, the transition to working with metal isn't that hard. With a drill press and some common hand tools, you can home-build a steel trailer to any of a number of inexpensive plans, using parts you can get at your local Canadian Tire. Most metal dealers are happy to cut the steel according to your plans, typically $0.50 to $1 per cut. Galvanizing is good, yes, but if you don't mind touching up the paint every couple of years, paint is perfectly OK too. Or splurge on aluminum (and plans designed for aluminum!) and never worry about corrosion again.
    The trailer for my current boat is home-built steel- I picked up a wrecked one with good axle and wheels for $100, and replaced the damaged members and fittings with ones that friends and I built. Not hard at all.

13. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I have an old single axle boat trailer that I added a wood "box" to to make it into a utility trailer. Can remove the ends of the box and haul my skiff too. One advantage when launching the skiff is that the trailer floats - I can just walk out on the deck and pull the skiff aboard.

I see no reason why a trailer couldn't be built with wood and composites, and be plenty stiff, but not sure the cost/effort is worth it. Steel trailers are pretty cheap.

14. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I've seen wooden trailers for small (say 12 foot or less) boats, but they had the problem of floating, which makes loading the boat a pain. The current or wind would cause the trailer to swing around. I think I'd stick with steel or aluminum for a 3000# boat.

15. blared

blared ALFA

I wouldnt prefer a wooden one, even with the iron ones it's hard to tow. It can start jumping up and down or flip your car. It's always good to do it the right way. But if you are just gonna put your boat in your back yard thats cool to put it on the wooden one. But I would'nt prefer towing it on the road. Even the strong iron ones break :) Good luck though

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.