The boat I would build if reality weren't an issue

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cthippo, Nov 20, 2010.

1. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

And you my friend take yourself to seriously . Just like this Apex weirdo who finds it satisfying to criticise other members doodling, drawings, observations and ideas. .

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

m p do you think if you cut a hole just above the w l , it might sink when the boat rolls

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

@Peter, yes, she's beautiful! Just wish the stack was behind the pilothouse, but still, very nice!

@michael pierzga

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

the USCG 47' motor lifeboats have a cutout on the side for swimmer recovery. I've toyed with the idea, but I wonder if it wouldn't work better on the stern.

The more I think about it though, the more it seems like the only answer is a flip down or removable swim platform. To board a 'yak you really have to be within 6 inches of the water. Any more than that and it's nearly impossible. Maybe a pontoon that gets swung over the side first, or a platform that can be set over the side to beard the boats.

Something like that on a larger scale

[​IMG]

Here is another option, and one I like better. Instead of the bottom step being supported by a line it could itself be buoyant and act as a platform.

[​IMG]

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yes indeed. Like the coast gaurd vessel. A fold down platform could also be made to work. And as you see..side boarding is superior...keeps paddlers away from props, exhaust, stream, waves and allows you more design freedom to maximize you deck living space. I have stern boarding on this yacht. When the wind picks up a little or when Im handling old folks..we shift to side boarding

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

That weirdo knows at least what he is talking, and produces fine craft, like the one you ******* like to insult and call "my friend". Peter would probably commit suicide having a friend like you.:p

The thread opener wants a cheap craft, and you recommend a USCG boat.....layman.

7. gunship

gunship Senior Member

(Emphasis mine.)

I higly value your knowlage, but I find this part a little too.. bitter. What is the problem of sketching on boats even if you're not an educated professional? He clearly stated this was just for fun. You are being constructive, and helpful and all in the rest of the post, but why cannot amateurs post ideas here? :)

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hmm, ja. You know (maybe not) we are not the best friends, so to say. But even then, I did my best, or what I assumed to be best.

Regards
    Richard

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A catamaran can have a loading/launching ramp inbetween the hulls. It can be either forward on aft facing. On a monohull, a landing craft type could have ramps too.

10. gunship

gunship Senior Member

I did not know. in that case, judging your post is far too complicated...

I just reacted to this attitude that surfaces whenever one amateur posts a sketch, there is always someone telling him/her buy something that already exists and not build on his own, despite the intentions were never to build the boat, but rather to toy with an idea or two.

1 person likes this.
  11. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Taking the ideal I posted earlier as a starting point, I improved it some and then managed to shrink it down to something more reasonable. I moved the second cabin aft, added space for a tub room, and shrunk the engine room. The pilothouse got lowered and the gunwales shrunk some to maintain the proportions. The distance from the stem to the front of the pilothouse went from 28' to 17', so as long as no one brings an 18 foot kayak we're OK. :D

The end result is what you see below. She's 39' 4" long with a 12' beam, sleeps 4 in 2 cabins, each with it's own head. There is a tub room amidships with a jetted tub for 2 which will be very welcome after 8 hours paddling. The tub is fed by a diesel fired tankless hot water heater and either huge fresh water tanks or filtered seawater.

Attached Files:

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

That comes closer!

But you should not forget the frames when calculating interior space. The accommodation you have drawn will not fit into a real hull of that size.
    You have far too much hull volume in the water, that is not realistic (and expensive).

Michael Kasten has a coaster of about that size, this gives you a idea what I mean.

Attached Files: