the boat I want to build (a sailing dinghy design)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by powers, Apr 18, 2010.

1. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Powers; That is one sexy looking boat. I would have been thrilled with it long ago when my body could better tolerate gut busting acrobatics..
    If you scale up to 16 feet, you will have enlarged the boat by about 20% in all directions. But! you will have changed the design displacement by about 75%. The enlarged boat will not weigh enough more than the Force 5 to need that excess displacement. Unless done right the boat will not be the performer that it appears to be. It would also be a bit tiddly depite the generous beam.

This is a boat that will demand that you sail it flat. If not, the corner of the transom will drag. So be advised that you will need to keep your abs in good shape. Trapezing is not a practical option as you want a free standing mast. It can be done but to do so the mast will have to be pretty stout. You might be able to work out a hiking plank however.

The pillar at the F5 transom is presumably a place to support the top of the rudder stock. Dispose of the pillar and simply run a board across the scoop opening at the transom. Scaling up the sail by 20% is probably not enough sail for the bigger boat if it is to be a true hot rod.

2. powers

powers Junior Member

I know its been some time but I thought I would post the current design. I would love some more comment.

the current specs are:
    LOA 15.3
    Beam 5.9
    the waterline in the pic below are at 472lb of displacement (salt water)
    every face is develop-able even the cockpit.

I have read some naval architecture book but there is a lot of info to absorb. For this particular boat what parameters should i focus on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. powers

powers Junior Member

my own little developabilty check. it is neat to see it in real life, kind of inspiring.

[​IMG]

4. James S

James S New Member

I like it Powers.
    I've been working on a very similar design with two wheels that fold out from the stern and one from the bow...my objective is to use as a land yacht as well.
    I'd like to be able to support two crew and camping gear.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the computer skills as you, but I do have paper and pencil.
    I was thinking to construct the same as with ply but to use flat sheets of fiberglass that I can have laid up at at a local shop.
    Excellent model...I do a lot of modeling for various projects and yes, it is very inspiring....as well as a good problem solving tool.

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

I like the design... I'm generally not a sail kind of guy, but how is the position of the mast figured out? (post #1 and #15) With an attack from the wind that far in the front of the hull, it may press the bow down somewhat, also; it may cause the need for more force on the rudder? What about placing the mast closer to the keel (a shorter distance in front of the keel)? Easier to dance around on the deck also.

But its a very nicelooking design...:)

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

That should make a nice day sailor. I would not sweat minor changes in the shape of the hull, it should sail just fine. When you do your build you might consider making several mast step locations so you can move the mast forward or aft to give you another means of adjusting the balance.

7. James S

James S New Member

Interesting you mentioned that, I figured about 40cm of adjustment for the mast placement and about the same for the swing keel location.

I wonder how this build has gone for Powers...would be great to get an update.

8. Milan

Milan Senior Member

You don't like sailing much but you like Corto Maltese? ;)

9. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Oh ehh, well, I DO sail, when I get the opportunity... But some of the folks I know, have St. Christoffer on their side, or at least they tend to believe that...:rolleyes:

("Heeey... Notthing can go wrong here, rela... ooops...")

I've only broken one rig, and it was even repairable.. so they consider me a complete sissy...:p

Corto Maltese...
    The line of Hugo Pratt, that's impressive, shades, colours... Pretty perfect, in my opinion. Other comic artists too; Will Eisner, Herge, and Carl Barks and .eh...

http://www.illustrationartgallery.com/acatalog/Illustration_Art_Hugo_Pratt_348.html

10. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Hugo was genius.

Harold Foster, Herman, Moebius, Derib, Charlier - Hubinon, Segrelles, Bourgeon...

By the way, you draw nice boat powers, sory for the drivel.

11. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

How did I forget Herman...? New thread?

To the boat again: Any reason or thought behind placing the mast that far out in the front? Its not the best place to be, and further out in the front makes it easier for the spouse to get the insurance money... (Also the bow may(?) be pushed down by the force/ wind in the sail/ mast?). Also the force on the rudder may be enough to need an unwanted angle on the rudder, like driving with the brake on...?