Boat hull drawings

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by luizlima, Feb 14, 2014.

1. luizlima

luizlima New Member

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get sample 2d/3d drawings with dimensions of boat hulls? It can be from any “modern” pleasure craft ranging from 20 to 38ft. I found a few in the directory of this site but they are plans from really old wooden boats.

Thank a lot

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Pardon if you already know this. It's traditional to use a set of coordinates found in tables supplied with the drawings. Unlike home building plans, boat plans use three sets of what are called "tables of offsets".
    Each measurement found in a table of offsets only refers to a distance along a line, measured from a baseline provided on the drawing. The other two tables provide the missing two dimensions. Between all three tables, any point can be located exactly in a three dimensional space. This is much easier to use than "arrow" dimensions, which would only show a two dimensional reference anyway.
    This also keeps a lot of complication out of the drawings, making them far easier to read.
    I may be misreading your question, based on the fact that there are plenty of plans online that include offsets. If you Google "boat plans with offsets", as I just did, you'll certainly find some examples. If you can't find more modern boats as readily, it's because older plans aren't as often copyrighted.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

"Modern" pleasure craft are simply styling exercises, for the most part. These can be changed at will, within reasonable parameters. This said, you can easily find lines and 3D modeled drawings on line. Of course, the dimensions to these "modern" craft will be guarded if still under copyright protection, but those in the public domain will include all the dimensions you desire. There are several sites that offer free plans as well as low cost plans, but frankly finding free or low cost plans usually provides what you pay for them. This is particularity true of boats over 30', where you'll pay several hundred dollars for an older stock plan set, that are actually a complete set.

For example:

[​IMG]

This is a 38' power cruiser and the plans are a real steal at about $600. This is about as cheap as you could expect for a yacht of this size and complication.

On the other hand, plans for a 20' boat may be had for less then $100, simply because it's a much less complicated build.

As a rule, free or low cost plans are often untested, incomplete and typically employ dated styling. The styling can be updated, if you have some skills, assuming the design is actually sound.

It might be more helpful if you mentioned what your goals are - simply put what are you attempting to do, with these "sample" drawings? You'll find reasonably priced plans for all sorts of yachts, though the size range you've shown interest in is huge, making any suggests equally as vague as the question.

4. luizlima

luizlima New Member

Thanks for your help,

I’m working on the design of a boat lift and that’s why I was looking for hull plans just to help me on the design. A hull plan would be better but I think I’m going to be able to get around this just by collecting data such as (beam, draft and deadrise) which is viable on any boat manufacturer site.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.