Boat Hull design...?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Neb_16, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Neb_16

Neb_16 New Member

Hi guys. I am new to the forum, and glad i found it, as this seems to be a very helpful place to be.
    Anyways, I am in the process of designing a small runabout style boat. I am currently working on the hull design, but am having a little trouble finding out information about how to design such a hull. Do you guys know of any good websites/books that will help with things such as formulas, etc?

2. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

Is this just a design exercise or are you intending to build the boat once you have made up your own design? From your questions, it appears that you, at this time, have very little idea about how to design/build a boat. If that is true, I would strongly recommend that you buy, study and build using existing plans. There are many designs out there which are proven and will provide an excellent means for you to further your knowledge of boat design and result in something you can be proud of.

Meanwhile, keep reading this forum to learn from experts (not me) and buy some books on the subjects which cover the information you desire. There are many plans laying in drawers and partially completed hulls in sheds which were started by people who became frustrated, but there are also many people here who have built multiple boats and continue to enjoy it. Take it one step at a time.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Wayne is telling like it is. Do not design your own boat. Get a good set of plans from an established designer. The paltry sum that you pay for the plans will save you many times more than you have spent for those plans. It will also save you a ton of frustration, disappointment, and grief.

Would you encourage a person with no knowledge of music to compose a concerto for the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra?

4. Niru

Niru Mr.

hello there, newbie here.
    got a question regarding hull design. im sure for boat designers know that there are two common types of "keel" namely bar-type and the flat-type. my question is for a flat-type (flate keel plate) how does one asssume or compute if theres a formula or existing rule from any Class Societies regarding the width of the said keel.
    usually called "the half siding of keel" cause actually i got stuck with one.

and so the deadrise comes, bilge radius etc.etc.etc. hehe ^_^

many thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.