boat costing in quantity

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nine6, Jan 14, 2014.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That must be the long story. What is it you're trying to accomplish?

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I looked on yachtworld:
    -sailboats between 30 and 35 feet for sale = 5400
    -powerboats in the same range = 15,000+

You are competing with 20,500 other boats....

3. Waterwitch

Waterwitch Senior Member

In a nutshell it seems the project is to get a bunch of Tulsa public school teachers to volunteer their time to build 30 -35 ft powerboats for a rental fleet 12 hrs away by car. As an alternative to some other after school program.
    The only glimmer of hope I see would be if your free labor was composed of shop teachers. If industrial arts, shop classes are even a part of school curiculums anymore.

4. heatedsoul

heatedsoul New Member

Oh boy, ok first of all this is not the good old days where you can sell your 200x boats to pirates since they have all the cash.

Others on this forum have analyzed your proposal graciously and cannot get there heads around it. Try making a single boat first design, test and then take orders. If you do get 200 orders for that particular model economies of scale suggest that the cost of making them will go down.

Better relocate manufacturing to a third world country for cheaper labor and cost of keeping them..

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Okay, I'll bite. Lets say you have $20 million to invest and you're going to build 200 boats. This $100,000 per unit. So, setting up shop to build low six figure yachts, sounds great. Now, have a look at the time it takes to market (let alone build) two hundred, semi custom $100k yachts, assuming the design can stand the test of time, to continue through it's decade or more model run.

Clearly some market research and possibly business management is in order.

6. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Agreed. And $100,000 does not get you a new 30'-35' boat these days. Maybe three times that will.

7. WestVanHan

Maybe he's trying for a government development grant,or something.

I'd suggest Kickstarter,the proof will be in the (lack of) donations.

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

About 20yr. ago a bunch a guys formed a house building club here. I recall somewhere around 9 or 10 guys . Well all those guys put their sweat equity into starting the first three houses with the idea when those were completed they would start three more and so on until all were completed. Well one got somewhere around 75% completed, one about 40% completed and number three got the hole dug. People and boat building have have an even more dismal record. Goodwill and the cold hard world of business just don't work.

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, I'd sure like to hear the long story and be a part of an inventive way to dispose of $50 million. I kid you not.

10. PAR

I can help him dispose of that 50 million - so do you like horses? How about my wife? She's a great cook and although I'm sure initially a little pissed, with the 5 million "settlement" I'd give her (hey, business is business), she'd get over it pretty quick. Hell, I'll bet a few here would switch sexual preference for 50 million.

11. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

The original plan is one with little chance of success as far as building 2-300 boats. The plan could be modified, the plan could adapt, it could downsize in this area and expand in others, but without knowing the big picture, the whole shebang, the long story, it is impossible to know which two birds to kill to accomplish whatever it is that can't be talked about, an endeavor that keeps a multitude of people interested for 20 years.

13. PAR

Look, serious folks with this much capital to invest, aren't bouncing around on public forums discussing the idea. I don't have anything close to this type of money to invest in things, but so have some and when have I asked for input on my next indulgence or speculation in the market(s). I know a few with this type of money, one is a good friend and we don't discuss these types of enterprises openly. My guess is the OP is the 15 year old son of a wealthy man, looking to inspire something of which he hasn't a clue. Maybe in another decade, once he's finished high school and collage, he can take a look at his passion again, with a more realistic set of eyes.

14. WestVanHan

Dispose of $50mill on boats?

Tell you what, for a small fee (say 2-3 %) I can dispose of that in about 3 days in a very creative manner that is legit and useful for the education system.

15. PAR

I was thinking of disposing it on some of my bills and maybe some ponies at the local track. Personally, I'd like to do the wife deal, as I can afford to have 18 year olds dangling everywhere, for the remainder of my life with this kind of investment. Hell, I even build him a boat or two.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.