Blatant misrepresentation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Oct 16, 2014.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

There was an earthmoving contractor on the radio here recently. He met chinese sales reps at an expo in Brisbane. He said their price on track gear was too good to pass up and laid down 30000 deposit at the expo. He lost his money. Turns out they did not even have a factory just a pile of brochures and a good spiel. I have heard of this happening when people buy through ali baba too.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Damn - wish I had thought of it :)

But seriously, we are spoilt over here in Australia where 90% of the time you can rely on people to do the right thing, especially in smaller cities or towns.

There is a whole new powerful international movement just desperate to make big bucks now.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Anyone that's foolish enough to drop down 30k on something they haven't fully checked out, really doesn't need to have that amount of liquid laying around.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

With all this Chinese bashing, you'd wonder how exporters to China get paid, but they keep sending it, so they must.

5. whitepointer23

I agree but maybe he got sucked in by a professional looking stand at the expo and assumed they were an honest company.

6. whitepointer23

I put chinese tyres on my dualcab a while ago . They were 140 au each and were down to the belts in 20000 klm. I went back to Bridgestone deullers for 200 au each and I get 100000 klm plus out of them . Is it chinese bashing to say their tyres are crap.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

consider how much money these charlatans took in at the one expo! just deposits, no product, no factory, no inventory. very slick.

this website might be selling the same thing, the boat in the picture may not even be theirs, just borrowed pics.

there are similar scams running around the US right now for high price items such as used luxury cars, listed as way below value because of supposed requirement for "quick sale" (divorce, being shipped out my military, job transfer, etc). send certified funds and the car will be delivered with "ebay buyers warranty" (no such thing). The pictures are not of a car in someone's driveway but professional shots taken from an online ad. I considered this once when looking for a good deal on a car, but the more convoluted the transaction became, the more disappointed I was that it was clearly a scam. the car was supposedly in another state (Montana) but would be shipped to me (really? why not advertise locally than?), after I sent my certified funds to a "finance agent" in New Orleans (I looked up the address on Google earth, it was a house in a run down neighborhood with a black man mowing the lawn). I emailed them that I would drive out to Montana look at it in person and bring cash, of course there was some convoluted reason why that could not happen. Sorry, I am suddenly not interested. I sent no money to a house in New Orleans for a car in Montana for sale for about 40 percent under market value, that was going to be shipped to me in Washington, after they have my money.

8. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so maybe this fine vessel is intended as a tribute, an homage, if you will...

That being the case, please remember your manners and don't be so crass and materialistic as to think a simple cheque will suffice... These guys are clearly artists and as such you need to respect their integrity...

I believe a suitable way of doing so without offending their sensibilities would be to carefully select 5 suitable pieces of artwork from your own wallet (the green ones with the 100 in the corner) these could be lovingly and artistically slapped on a colour photocopier and duplicated an appropriate number of times.

Having exchanged your replica dollars for said vessel, I am quite sure the craftmen behind this venture will soon realise what you did and in hold you in the high esteem reserved only for fellow artists - they will surely be just as delighted with their facsimile dollars as you will be with the 'finished' vessel.
    :D
    :!:

Of course I have a much easier option...

I recently found out that I am related to the Nigerian Royal Family, who have appointed me a personnal banker. This gentleman contacts me on a regular basis.
    I believe he is suffering from Alzheimers as he can't remember his name and uses a different one each time - but he is obviously a long time family retainer and such we are expected to show tolerance for such harmless quirks.
    He keeps asking that I provide my bank details so he can deposit a vast and expansive fortune as befits someone of my rank and obvious nobility...:D

Clearly having not investigated the tax implications of my new found aristocratic status, I generally decline to give such details and instead ask him to make prudent investments on my behalf. Perhaps I shall get him to order a couple of these magnificent craft as tenders to the royal yacht...:p
    Though he better get a move on this time - my order for 100,000 hyper efficient hydrogen generator cells seems to be taking an absolute age!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Please note - Governments have no sense of satire, artistic appreciation, comedy, or poetic justice when it comes to duplication of currency - Do not even think about doing this!
    Modern Photocopiers actually have safeguards built in :eek:
    Even thinking about it is a more dangerous idea than sending your bank details to Nigeria ;)

9. whitepointer23

Are we related. Because I have a nigerian prince in the family who has died and left me 9 million u s. Once I send my bank details and the 5000 bank comission they will transfer it to my bank. I can't believe how kind the bank was to track me, his last living relative. Really nice people in Nigeria.

10. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

Wow, what an incredible coincidence, who'd have thought it! :p

I'm still checking the family tree to find out who 'rodgered' his way across Africa.

:D:D:D:D

11. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Did you hear that the captain of their national soccer team, wanting to make it up to fans because they didn't win, offered to pay for their trips? Yep! All they had to do was send him their bank info....

12. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

How widespread is this Nigerian Scam? Just today, I received this from my junk mail. FBI, Nigeria, & Hongkong? I wonder how to report this to FBI? I deleted some of the garbage.

>Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
    Federal Bureau Of Investigation
    J.Edgar.Hoover Building
    935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
    NW Washington, D.C.20535-0001, USA

Dear Beneficiary,
    We bring to your notice that your email address was randomly selected as email address of scammed victims who are to be compensated that is why we are in contact with you so take your time to read this informations carefully. Series of meetings have been held over the past 7 months with the secretary general of the United Nations Organization, this ended 3days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your funds valued at $3.5 Million us dollars due to past corrupt Governmental Officials who almost held the funds to themselves for their selfish reason and some individuals who have taken advantage of your funds all in an attempt to swindle your funds which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the receipt of your fund.
    The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully passed a mandate to the current president of Nigeria his Excellency President Good luck Jonathan to boost the exercise of clearing all foreign debts owed to you and other individuals and organizations who have been found not to have receive their Contract Sum,
    …………………………………….
    To effect the release of your fund valued at $3.5Million us dollars you are advised to contact our correspondent in Africa the Fbi funds transfer agent Mr.MARK RUBEN with the information below,
    Name:Mr.MARK RUBENE
    mail: markruben254@yahoo.com.hk

Yours sincerely,
    Miss Donna Gwen
    FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
    J.Edgar.Hoover Building<

13. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

As long as it isn't an email from Lois Lerner ... I hear those void the warranty on hard drives these days.

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Hey Petros,want to make a couple million?

Bill Gates emails me a couple times a day,says he owes me $13 million.
    I keep sending him my name and asking for a money order but he screws it up-I offered to drive down to his place,it's only a couple hours away but he's always too busy to see me.
    I'll cut you in if you go to his place and get it for me,he's not too far from you.

Alibaba offers an escrow service.protects against scam shippers but not scam products.

I've done lots of this: it's often hit and miss whether you get good stuff or crap.And that varies from product to product. You also have to watch for stuff that is a blatant copy of copyrighted stuff-if customs spots it they will seize it, and your name is on their 5hit list.

There are asian night markets in Vancouver (surprise!) and the RCMP go every night.The 2-3 times a year I go to them, I always see them bagging up stuff and taking it away.

I've ordered one of the small Kubota diesel clones,and plan to run it WOT at full load for a month to see what happens.

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I always thought that MacGregor was a blatant misrepresentation of a sailboat, so I can't see the harm in what the Chinese might be doing.....

PDW

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.