A blast from the past

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Neal, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Neal

Neal New member

In 1958, when I was in the 8th grade, my dad and I started a plywood + fiberglass boat. It is about 20' x 8' with a small cabin. It is currently powered by a Ford 302 V8 inboard.

The boat has no strakes. Since all boats seem to have strakes, I wonder why this boat does not. It's my boat now but I do not have the original plans.

If I was to add strakes, how would I know how many and how large. And most of all, how would I attach them?

2. boby boy

boby boy owner of cla boat design

I would simply leave the boat without strakes. this is because ataching them would be a pain you would have to attach them the skeleton and rip up some of the exterior unless you wanted to do it like a viking.

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Strake design is usually done by looking at planing resistance changes due to the strakes using Savitsky-Brown.

Alternatively, in alum. boats, especially Bristol Bay seiners, they might be structural.

Many boats do not benefit from strakes and don't need them.

Don't worry about it if you like the boat now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.