Biomimetics and Proas

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DrCraze, Apr 20, 2010.

1. DrCraze

DrCraze Junior Member

I am currently building a mold for a proa and I have done a few things different.
    I have shaped the hull to mimic a sailfish with a slight hourglass shape instead of the traditional foil shape. Next I have scalloped the stem sections with tubercles to mimic humpback fins.
    Has anyone ever tried this?

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The Mae West shape is said to work on transonic and supersonic aircraft. But on a boat??? What is the rationale for such a design departure? Tubercles ? Why?

3. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I'd call it "selective" biomimetics. You have taken some features of interest from animals, but ignored the fact that fish and whales are not rigid solid objects. Tubercules and fish shapes work for animals because they can change shape through flexing and flapping. Furthermore, they have internal feedback systems that can coordinate the complex interactions. You have essentially created a bumpy stick. But I guess you can label it as "biomimetic" too :)

Leo.

4. DrCraze

DrCraze Junior Member

This is merely an experiment. A large scale experiment;) I may even add some dimpling on the surfaces where you normal see large flow separation. I have nearly completed the male mold for the hull and I will be able to create an identical hull without any biomimetic modifications for comparison. This is all in fun but I think I will be seeing some interesting results.

5. DrCraze

DrCraze Junior Member

Which ones faster? the bumpy one or the smooth one? Lets find out:idea:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.