Bearing Strength of Composites

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by uys, Mar 21, 2009.

1. uys

uys Junior Member

Hi there

I am trying to understand the mechanics of composites.I have down loaded Eric Greene's book,and found it very use full.I have a good understanding of mechanics,but some of the stuff is a bit over my head though.

a) Is the bearing strength of a laminate = to the compression strength of the material (as per data sheet) when eg. working out chain plate hole sizes?

b) Can I asume that eg. when a composite sole (400 EDB;H80;400 EDB) is tabed onto a hull with 50 mm of tabbing on the floor,and 50 mm tabbing onto the hull,that it is the shear strength properties of the resin system (data sheets) x 50 mm x (X) meter length of tabbing = strength in MPa that supports the floor?

It would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.
    uys

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.