Battery based Ferry boat design! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by koman, Jun 29, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Hay guys, if you read the first post he said 3 to 3-and-a-half minutes at 4.5 knots - that is a distance of about 1825 FEET (608 yards) WTF???? - - Now "googleearth" Hong Kong, and see where that could take you? - - - How about the anchorage at 22.285 deg N & 114.185 deg E - or - 22.841 N & 114.229 E or any of 5 other sheltered anchorage areas? - - - - moving people to their boats moored to pylons... That project would strike me as appropriate but battery duration may be a problem and the only option I can think of is the golf buggy batteries (cheap, - relatively and repairable in HK)

The man is in Hong Kong, and read his given info, and stop thinking like an American, to solve problems in other countries...

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ahh, clever. But The vessel was a "seagoing" one, maybe just a small "sea".

Mas,
    not worth the effort.

3. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

checking the requirements - if electric was necessity one could try to get some high end fancy docking setup so batteries could get charged while on dock. obviously the hook up would have to be pretty quick and have some serious amperage.

Somehow however I doubt we'll see this one in the water anytime soon...

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Cable idea is good, there are many cabled powered ferries in places like Disney World.

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

cable is fine if you own everything - I would think that it might be mighty expensive and complicated in public waters and busy water ways.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

mydauphin, just look at the potential operational areas - not really appropriate? remember 600yard round trip and across to Kowloon is about 1500yards? and road is cheaper... and they use high speed ferries on those runs mostly or huge 1000 person ferries if they still run?

7. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

Message for Peter Radclyffe

Message for Peter Radclyffe:

Peter,

Apologise for using this thread but couldn't find a separate contact to PM you.

Thanks for your previous kind thought in this thread.

I have spoken to Tony on the telephone a couple of times after they moved to Falmouth but not visited he and Sas there.

The Willow Trust were great to work with and I enjoyed visiting 'Asco' at Saul Junction during her refit.

Cheers,
    Graham

PS Great pictures of timber boats in your gallery.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.