Batteries and New Battery Technologies

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

lurking

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I am pleased to regard myself as an optimist. Time will learn. Bert

3. Yobarnacle

I'm optimistic also. Have nothing to contribute at the moment but want updates on thread, so I'm lurking about. :)

4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

That video doesn't exactly spell out any of the 'internals' of that new battery technology, but I might be will to bet it has something to do with this 'Graphene' technology considering its all carbon basis, its high capacity, and its high charge rate....all properties of graphene,...maybe in a rolled up form?
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/graphene-marine-applications-41021-2.html#post656945

How about the reference made to electric vehicle batteries made in this video,....at about minute 14:00
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/WFacA6OwCjA

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. brian eiland

Nigel Calder article on Lithium-ion Battery Technology

Hi Bert,
    Do you happen to get the publication Professional Boatbuilder?

I was just looking back thru the June/July issue #149. They carried a really good article on lithium-ion batteries by Nigel Calder. The article was titled "In the Buffer Zone", and spoke of his experiences while he was working on the European Union funded HYbrid MARine (HYMAR) project.

One of the most comprehensive articles I've seen on the lithium-ion subjects (for boats) that I've seen. And I think it was written prior to that press release by the Japanese on their new technology/...or maybe he just chose not to include that subject in his article, as that tech does NOT involve lithium-ion??

6. brian eiland

Ryden, new Japanese Battery Technology

Well, I'm already wrong. It appears as though that new Japanese tech is a form of lithium tech, according to this article:
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/green-tech/fuel-cells/a-cotton-powered-future

Yet according to this article the only active ingredient is carbon:
    http://www.gizmag.com/dual-carbon-fast-charging-battery/32121/

Attached Files:

7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

No Brian, I am enrolled to "renewable energy". Will look tomorrow to the various video's and will reply. Bert

8. brian eiland

I'll see what I can do to get you a copy. Too bad my scanner no longer works with my new Win7 install on my old computer

9. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Brian, I had the same problem, but I use an old laptop with Xp and then use my old scanner on XP, scan onto a stick and then under Win7. Cumbersome scanning, but I don't feel like investing in a new scanner, while the old one is doing a super job for me. Bert

10. brian eiland

I'll give that a try as I kept XP on an older laptop of mine. I think I thought of this,...and then forgot it....ha...ha....:rolleyes:

After my move down to Fla, I may get another printer (this time a color one to just use on some occasions), and many of these come with scanners built on. Nowadays in the USA we can find some of this equip almost like new in second hand shops. :idea:

11. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Yes Brian, indeed they are referring to the movement of Lithium-ions flow, thus it has to be a Lithium battery. What puzzles me is, why it should be that much cheaper then an ordinary Lithium battery, other than the use of carbon, which is cheaper. In time we will learn how much cheaper the Ryden battery will be, as they are planning to start producing in 5 months time. I don't mind getting a 1 Kwh battery for about $ 100,- , but they will be first producing their new batteries for the space and medical industry, which is much more profitable with higher prices. Bert

12. Yobarnacle

13. blisspacket

blisspacket Junior Member

I read the Power Japan press release, and got the feeling I was hearing from a Wall Street futures trader. Lots of hype.

In the here and now: I'm impressed with Nissan Leaf's lithium manganese dioxide batteries. I bought a full bellypan from a wrecking yard in upper NY state about a year ago. They arrived with near-uniform 4.0 volts per cell. I've not worked them hard, and have only a 550 watt charger, but they've never gotten warm on either discharge or charge. With 24 modules (each module is in itself 2s2p) in 6s4p I've run them from 4.2 down to 3.4 volts in 2 hours 40minutes, drawing 90-100 amps for the full period, with no trace of warming. They don't breathe. I screwed up and drained one trio down to 0 volts, and lo and behold it's alive and kicking. That was only this week, so I don't have a longevity test. There's a Youtube of someone puncturing a module with a drill, and all it does is smoke a bit. These are not Boeing firebombs!

14. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Your 6s 4p module sounds perfect for my electric bike, what size is the module and what weight?
    Also do you have any idea of the amp hours of your modules?

15. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

If I am correct, he mentioned 2h40 minutes at 90 -100 Ampere, that gives us 247 Ampere hour at average of I guess 4 Volt and 95 Ampere = 988 Watthour. That is not bad, nearly a 1kwh. He also mentioned he obtained 24 modules and used 3, which means 8 x 3 sets , he has a cool 8 Kwh. excellent.
    Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.