Basic Question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tommymitch, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Tommymitch

Tommymitch New Member

Hi - I am new to boating and have a very basic (and possibly embarrassing) question.
    In the attached photo, what are these two void areas to be used for? Fishing bait storage? Rope storage?
    I know they must have a use as it seems a waste of space otherwise?

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Storage of whatever you want to put in.

3. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Sometimes there is a locker at the transom for your gas tank or battery, but there would usually be a cover if so. They look like general storage from here.

My suggestions are:
    Port side -Ice and beer
    Starboard side - Mother in law

1 person likes this.
  4. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Can't see down into them. I would say general storage. Probably over a battery box and 2 stroke oil tank. I've had a boat with seats beside the outboard and it wasn't good (too noisy, didn't enjoy sitting there ever.) It's probably an easy way to firm up the transom and splash well.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Live bait well possibly.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think that is used to give more waterline length to the boat, moving the center of buoyancy aft, and, therefore, appear those spaces that everyone can use for whatever he wants.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't think those boxes extend the LWL TANSL as, they look to be flush with the transom cutout. As mentioned, you can place whatever you want in them, but keep the weight down is it's a relatively small boat. Usually, you'll have batteries and/or fuel tanks below these boxes, but mounted up high (those lockers) should have light items on boats under 18'.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

PAR, sure, we should have more details of how those boxes. I am convinced that they are sponsons (otherwise no sense) and therefore increase the waterline length and buoyancy at the after body. Nobody puts boxes that are not required to, as you say, increase the weight of a small boat.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Storage boxes at that location are pretty typical. The transom is flat and doesn't appear to have sponsons. As for putting boxes, many of those features are there for marketing purposes. They don't always make sense.

10. PAR

Agreed, the boxes do appear to be flush with the cutout, so no recessed engine, from what I see. The space on either side of the outboard well is common employed for battery/tanks below and up at deck level, these locations are used for seats, a modest aft deck and/or storage boxes, as seen in this photo. Those boxes would be more useful if they had covers or hatches over them, so you'd have an aft deck, with storage under it. They're really too high to be used as bait or fish wells.

Tommy, what is the make, model and year of your new toy?

11. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I think the builder just forgot to install the covers. Open cavities that can collect water make no sense at all and guarantee that whatever you put in there is going to get wet. They should have drain holes into the splash well in any case. Greatest balance problem in any small boat is too much weight in the stern and whatever goes in there should not be heavy. The boxes are apparently not very deep since the steering and battery cables probably pass below them.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The may have outboard drains. They look like a good spot for the empties. They are in Australia after all.

13. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Those are just the result of a need for a rear seat , and a splash well, better known as a place to put beer and ice, and maybe some clams.

14. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Something to fill up with water and scare the crap out of you when you take a wave over the stern! LOL

Seriously though, storage of whatever. Just don't put anything in there you don't want to get wet.

15. PAR

There does seem to be a seat judging by the photo, just forward of these lockers. Drains can't be seen, but are a real good idea, hatches or not.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.