Barge Design - help needed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wynand N, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

I am interested in knowing at what size barge would one look at that suits the following criteria;
    1. 500 ton load capacity - mainly for transporting grain/maize
    2. also have space for four 12 meter containers in holds over and above load capacity
    3. River (Congo) use and to be towed by tug
    4. Possible current cost per ton displacement to build in USA$

I would be appreciated if someone can give me approximate LOA, beam and draft of such a vessel.

Also looking for a NA that would like to be involved in designing such a barge - investment corporation want to build four of these units. Currently busy with feasibility studies and need numbers and cost.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

what kind of load, solid, liquid, grain, white goods, etc etc??
    Craned on?
    I assume no Class certs etc required?

What is max depth allowable...that will dictate the design somewhat, if the parts of the river it goes are shallow and/or silted up

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Thanks Ad hoc
    Mainly used for harvested grain loaded through deck doors by conveyor belt (gravity).

No class certification and max depth allowable not more than 7 meters loaded

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Sounds like a large floating 'skip' then really.

How is the grain removed once onboard?

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Slowly I'll bet.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Wynand

I really depends upon many factors, since the beam and draft can be made to suit to actual loading and unloading, as well as some basic stability requirements. How the operation is to work, greatly influences the overall design. But i would say somewhere in the realm of 40m. But that depends on upon the length, is it too long for manoeuvrability in the river...how wide is the river...etc etc....so a bit more data on the river, and the operation is better to say with more certainty.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.