Balancing Dinghy 1.0

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tony_C, May 17, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've designed a couple of boats for that area, one a 16' dayboat and both had considerably less SA/D's. Your prevailing conditions means you'll be reefed most of time with a 22 SA/D, which to say the least is hard on the sails. Currents in that area are also a concern, with them often being quite swift and contrary. You should also consider freeboard which for both of my designs were considerably higher then typical for craft of their dimensions, again because of typical prevailing conditions.

2. Tony_C

Tony_C No idea

Par if you keep giving me such frank and fearless advise I'll have to get you to send me the bill!

Here's an update with the mast and CB moved a little as mentioned above. And a bit more freeboard too. It has 16" freeboard above the DWL. Heeled at 22 degrees it has 6". Dunno if that's enough or not.

I was a bit misleading about the SA/D as that includes the topsail. This tweeked version has SA/D of 21 with tops'l and and 18 without. The idea being that while we do have some confused choppy conditions at certain times of year, we can also have glorious glassy smooth with light breezes such as for the last six weeks. This is when the tops'l will come out.

[​IMG]

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You should always design your sail plan around you working sails, not light air or down wind options. Specifications are always generated around this premise, so that comparisons can be reliable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.