Average Cost of Steel Boat Kit?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Byrd88, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Hey West... I totally agree about the cost of building my own boat from Bruce Roberts being retardedly out of reach with all the other costs that would be incurred in addition to the kit itself. I'm definitely wearing some thick glasses... I really dig the second link you shot me. ;-) Primarily because the pilot house is steel as well & looks as though it can hold plenty of people & weight. And I do need something as sturdy as possible, as my intention is an offshore, survival boat. Thank you again for all the tip & advice. :)

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

3. lead foot

lead foot New Member

Have you looked into the price of maintenance on a steel hull ? :~(

Fiberglass is the way to go IMHO,and right now you can find some Killer deals on shrimpboats or other fishing boats due to the market going Bottom up!

I Love the Old Lobsterboats :~) sweet lines...

4. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Tad... I agree it's not the prettiest boat, my intention is a survival boat, so I'm not very concerned with looks... but I am open to hearing your concerns on the design... Do you think because the pilothouse is so large that it would be harder to make self righting? Also the links you shot me are beautiful, but way out of my price range. Thank you for looking for me though. ;-) And Lead Foot... nice name, I hear you on the maintenance, but again my purpose for this boat is a survivalist boat, so steel is a must...

5. larry larisky

larry larisky Previous Member

good people in poland.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

"survivalist" of or from what?

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

....maybe surviving the stones thrown by marina owners trying to keep you from visually fouling their docks with that thing.

All joking aside,if you want offshore survival,that means buying a good used offshore fishing boat and not using that home made sh*tbox.
    It may be called a "trawler" but it's not a trawler.

If you're into the armageddon- 2012-end of the world theory, a sailboat is better. Your trawler is NFG with no diesel

Steel is better than fibreglass when it comes to grinding on the rocks, but I've discovered firsthand that the solution to that is to stay away from the rocks in the first place...and you won't find too many of those offshore.

But..if you insist on steel,offshore,and cheap. From the plan purchasing BR:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...eel-Ketch-2222534/Wilmington/NC/United-States

8. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

NFG... Love it West... And yes I'm one of those 2012 nuts that feels the need to prepare for the catalysm that even NASA is half *** admitting will happen. All major governments have built underground bunkers & the Danish government has even admitted to this. NASA & our government have been studying many aspects that are to come for the last 25 years... Anyone who believes the government doesn't hide **** from it's people is as ignorant as it gets in my opinion... Anywho, with that said, I won't go into crazy detail on all my research & reasonings, but yes I'm looking for a good steel boat... And I have been back & forth on the trawler & sailboat issue... The only reason I like the trawlers is because I feel they're big enough for what I need, I was intending to make some modifications to the trawler as far as adding sails, in hopes of having a slow sailboat. ;-) But again I'm very new to all of this & design is obviously not my forte... Hence I have you lovely gentlemen to steer me in the right direction. So steer away!! Am I totally retarded in thinking I can modify a trawler with sails? Be gentle... ;-) Nice boat West & much closer to my price range... I've been trying to find an unfinished boat that has no interior done yet as I'm going to be gutting whatever boat I do buy to modify to my specific needs anyway... so price is always important & looks are definitely at the bottom of the list. Thanks again for all the help!!!

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Although the way you describe is the common approach we see here, it never is the right one.

You cannot "redesign" for your (assumed) purpose and expect a good and seaworthy boat.
    Just putting some sails on a "Trawler" is not a good idea if the vessel was not designed to carry sails.
    And to the size:
    when these pennies for the boats TAD posted are already too much, you definetively are looking for the wrong size of boat! As you are looking for the wrong designs / designer imho.
    And don´t assume you have "half" of the job done when you purchase a boat which is say 75% complete! There are another 75% to be poured in!
    Thats experience, not math´s.

The sailing junk posted above is on the market since Noah left the ark and too expensive for free. But then, that is valid for most of the abandoned building projects.

Buy a good second hand boat in a size you can afford and handle.

Regards
    Richard

10. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice Richard!! I do however have to go with a large boat, as it will be accomidating my family as well as a couple others. And I fully agree on the modification costs... Hence I'm looking for a used, hopefully cheap enough, boat to utilize the brunt on my money on the modifications, etc... My friend used to sail years ago & I will be taking courses soon as well to make sure we can handle the boat we intend to buy. My partner in this venture is a master welder & has worked on boats in the past, so I'm confident in our capabilities of making the needed modifications... but alas do need experienced & knowledgable people, such as yourself, to guide me in the right direction of what will & will not work. Thanks again Richard!!

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Here is your last shot:they are designed to have a mast for back up,long and skinny you'd need the 81'.

Don't know how much or how long to build,but his stuff is to be simple and cheap(er) than the yachty stuff.

His site is a little mixed up,but you can find smaller ones,and I'm sure his mileage ranges are optimistic:

http://georgebuehler.com/ellemaid.html

Here ya go-ugly,cheap,and stripped.Get the plates checked ,though I wouldn't go out in the ocean in it.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1944/Steel-Fishing-Vessel--1052407/Canada

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

The Ellemaid 71 recently built in Izmir, came out at 20 month and 650.000 Euro, she was build to workboat standards and by no means yachtlike.
    A 81 would be about 800.000 € to similar standard.

A homebuilder could save a few pennies when his (and his 5 helpers) time would be worth nothing over the 5 years of building time. But really only pennies, if any.

Regards
    Richard

13. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Oi West!! I like it... especially the price. ;-) I tried emailing the owner of the boat plans, but it's no longer a viable email address apparently. And I'm kind of leaning toward the used boat rather than the kit at this point... I agree that the time & money are a bit out of reach probably in order to build from scratch... especially time. Thank you again, you've been a huge help!!

14. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Boats are cheap right now. I know someone who bought a 50' something Azimut for under $70,000. It needed work, but seem other boats in great condition for $250k way below build cost.

Remember any new boat you buy today will be old in 5 years. Save your money adopt a good slight used boat. Just make sure that it is a quality boat that is not a Frankenstein created by bad mechanics and electricians.

Just rewire a Wellcraft 2900 Sportfish with twin outboards. Looked like a real well built boat except the final wiring and installation of accessories seem to have been done by the lowest bidder. Buyer beware a boat is only as good as the people who work on it. Example the autopilot pump was attached with one screw to a 2x4 piece of wood that was screwed in by two screws panel to cardboard panel holding the trim. All wiring is not sealed and does not seem to be marine tinned wiring, and even crimp connector are automotive type. I questioned all work on that boat having seem just a couple of bad samples of the work done.

15. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

I agree 100%, thank you for the advice!! Hope you get to enjoy your project!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.