automotive engine -> marine engine????

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mechanical314, Aug 2, 2004.

1. mechanical314

mechanical314 New Member

Thinking about putting a Ford 3.0 V6 (car engine) into a homebuilt 18' runabout. Kinda a replica of a 1930's Century or CC boat. Project is based around ecomony, but not sure how possible this will be.. Any ideas on the cooling system, or opinions on if I should completely scrap this silly idea? I haven't seen much info on converting automotive engines to marine, so any input would be appriciated.

2. fcfc

fcfc Guest

I hope power, dimensions ,weight and balance (triming) are compatible with your boat.
    An automotive 3.0L V6 should be a beast of at least 400 lbs bare (without any transmission) , and 200 hp. On a 18' boat.

By the way, is it a diesel or gasoline engine ?

How do you plan to transmit power from the flyweel end to the prop ? (clutch, reverse, shafting and torsionnal coupling etc ...)

I think it is more complex than cooling who can frequently be solved by salt water/cooling fluid heat exchanger.
    http://www.ejbowman.co.uk/products/pdf/marine.pdf (just the first page found on google)

François.

3. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.