any info on MacGregor's Stanford MBA project?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

"MacGregor Yacht Co. was founded by Roger MacGregor as part of a Stanford University MBA class project in the early 1960s.[1] The company was in business until early 2013, having been succeeded by Tatoo Yachts."

Beside all the boats etc.

Being as "the best way to make a small fortune building boats is to start with a large fortune" rings true for must boat startups, I'd be quite interested.

If this was a 'thesis' isn't it supposed to be 'published' and public?

I'm thinking your typical MBA prof would just shake his head at any student wanting to MAKE MONEY designing and building sailboats.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I think the difference between Roger and most other startups, is that he had a business plan.

So many boatbuilders get caught up in the joy of building, and don't actually plan a successful business.

he did start small -
    "MacGregor started the company while earning his MBA at Stanford Business School. He and his wife, MaryLou, later ran the company out of their garage while Roger was working for Ford. Soon, though, the business outgrew the garage, and MacGregor quit his job, bought some property in Costa Mesa, and started building a plant that now encompasses 65,000 square feet. ....."

One thing that puzzles me is this statement

"Henry Ford is often credited with bringing the automobile to the common man. Roger MacGregor, a one-time Ford employee, may well be credited with doing the same thing for the cruising sailboat. The popular MacGregor 25 was the flagship of his line for 14 years. With a swinging keel - a MacGregor invention - that made transporting and launching the boat a snap, and a price that hovered around the cost of a new car, the MacGregor 25 opened up coastal and inland sailing to countless thousands of people who might have otherwise remained ashore."

http://www.macgregor26.com/hall_of_fame/hall_of_fame_award.htm

Surely the swinging keel was invented much, much earlier than 1970 ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.