Any Doctors On This Boat...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Where do all these frantic one solution - one answer for all my problem seekers come from...

Why do they not know that each application has its own set of design parameters and engineering approaches...

Why do these people believe - or why do they even conceive that there is one hard and fast rule for any given application...

Why are their minds so inflexible and so half full - so inflexible - at the least to be able to see that is there is NO truth - that truth is a function of application - that form follows function - that engineering is application...

It is like trying to talk to an Evangelist with a grade 9 education some times...

Any people out there feeling my frustration - first tell me to just shut up and go wax my boat - then comfort me and give me a drink...

I will end this now and go screaming down the hall way - Chaplin like - pulling out what is left of my hair...

Sexy beast...

SH.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Patience and Tolerance

Take two of each with a full glass and sleep on it......

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

If the above doesn't work - I can only suggest putting your head FAR between your legs..... well, you know what to do :)
    However, if that doesn't appeal (?!?) how about explaining it to them, post by post, telling them what the different approaches are and why each one may have merit depending on their particular circumstances.
    It could be a lifetime of fun..... frustration? Something like that.

Steve

4. Sean Herron

Got WAX - SB...

Hello - SB...

I feel the need to bond to SB - or at least I feel the need to be able to pick his brain as I set out upon the plains of my new life...

Oh God - would he want me hitching that ride...

You see - I just spent this day smoking too many cigarettes and drinking too many English red beers on my boat whilst cleaning every nook of same - I found some small hand tools left by the original builders - scary stuff...

I did this to clean both my boat and my head (while polluting both with spilt beer and secong hand smoke - the bad habits that are life)...

You see - I have decided to quit the printing industry - I have decided to quit the personal industry of self loathing and excuse making (save the beer and tobacco) - and commit to a new horizon (an old horizon) of boat building, design and to keep my little boat clean and ready to sail within 10 minutes of setup and hanking the jib...

I am going to QUIT MY JOB - yipee - and go back to the boat yard - also I intend to enroll in the Westlawn Smallcraft Design bit - go get a computer that can render my boats in Rhino - get a headsail bag and a new Honda outboard - tell my wife that I am sorry and make sure she loves me and just bloody DO IT ALL...

I am scared - really damned scared...

The boat yard - http://www.west-bay.com/html.htm ...

Take a look at the interior shots of the 107 footer - what you see as the engine room is mine - I built everything you see - save the kick plate floors - and I want to do it again...

I figure I may as well - I have to focus on what I am - what I can do - and what I want to apply my skills towards - and Westlawn can just be the fun or more over the retirement 'chair job' - or at the very least the brain matter stimulator...

Can I hope to 'have you in touch' as I set out on this mess - SB and others of same level - I will need support and the occasional crutch - hehe - my wife loves to look at boats, but she hates sailing in them - hah - I need to go golfing with her more - tough life it is...

TELL ME I AM DOING THE RIGHT THING...

Also I intend to further the 22 foot sport sailer with standing headroom - crack head you say - interested in following and participating in its progress - I have a local friend who owns a 55 foot bed 5 axis mill - GRAND TOY...

By the way - SB - I have to say that I 'hate' you and your designs - I have to hate near perfection and those who have skills greater than my own with which they pursue grand design - bloody great work - you 'Bast---'...

Thanks in advance to new friends and enemies - I am just bloody off on this - life is short and linear - and I appreciate this technology which did not exist when I was younger sailing 505's and wondering how the heck to make a go of it all - koodos to this site owner and manager...

Yipee...

SH.

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

If it's what makes you happy, and you know deep down it's what you want to do....you're doing the right thing! :D

6. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

LOL!!

Sean,

I’m not sure if I have said welcome to the forum, WELCOME. I just read back through all your posts, I had a little trouble catching all of it but new opinions are always welcome. I only have a few bits of advice.

1 As you start your new career give up the beer and drink only single malt scotch. 18 year old Macallan would be just right, as a beginning designer it would be hard to afford more than one bottle a year. ;)

2 Forget that, “life is linear” stuff. It’ll be a lot easier to keep going if you get off the track and take the side roads. ;)

3 Good luck, I’m envious, and I haven’t got the gut’s to make the leap.

Keep us posted
    Gary :D

7. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Dude - I already have a wife :)

Forget what Duluth says about whisky - a good designer drinks rum, black rum - none of that pansy Bacardi see-through slop.

Well, you are now in a position to improve your skills, and eclipse us "old-timers" (OK, so I'm not _quite_ 50 yet, but I'm only 6 months away...)

Steve "...ard"

8. Sean Herron

A Murder Of Crows...

Hello...

Apparently a murder is the plural or grouping of a bunch of crows - I think it would make a great title for a book or a Joe Cartoon...

JOE CARTOON HAS A NEW SPONSOR - http://joecartoon.atomfilms.shockwave.com/pages/home/ - bloody great fun Joe is - check him out - plug...

Anyway - murder of crows - great attention getter...

Just got home from a good ES Easter at 20 odd knots on flat water - great sail - cheap rye and a some Eat More's...

Thought about asymetrical bilge or fin keelers - if the lift side of the foil is toward the centerline of the boat then one fin (buried vertically in the water if built outboard to 15 degrees - while the boat is on same heel) is pulling you to windward and the high weather fin is trying to pull you down to level the boat - and also cancelling the weather side bow wave - interesting - I won't start a seperate post as I do not wish to explain myself just now...

Also thought I would try to post the last engine room that I worked on...

The killer with large fiber glass motor yachts is the beginning - the roughing in of shafting - wet exhausts - cooling water pickups and desalinator discharges - air same - but once you get it closed in and get away from the muck heads grinding the fiberglass - the detail work is very rewarding...

Yup...

SH.

Attached Files:

9. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Is that an engine room or an operating room!!!! Jeff, we need one of those yellow faces drooling! :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.