Andrews 30 Custom

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Andrews30Custom, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Andrews30Custom

Andrews30Custom New Member

Own all the moulds, tooling and building rights to the Alan Andrews designed Andrews 30. MORC Racing boat. I want to do an up to date version of this...keel with bulb..Possibly lift keel...new rudder design..Possibly like ther VERA rudder system...and possibly a sprit..but it must articulate. Looking at also changing the rig to say somthing like the MUMM 30...ANY IDEAS>>>?????????????

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Have you talked to Alan? http://www.andrewsyacht.com/ I'll bet he would have some opinions.

Didn't you post this on the MORC site a long while ago? Wasn't there some discussion about the rights? Was this the Star 30, or the other Canadian builder's tools?

Anyway, those boats had a designed weight of more than 7000 pounds. I don't think a lift keel would help much in making something like that trailerable, so why bother? Ditto the articulating sprit. It isn't worth the extra complexity. Just make it a foot longer.

Sure, the bulb keel would add stability, and the sprit would add downwind sail area, but it is still a pretty heavy boat and wouldn't get up and plane too easily.

What would be the target market for something like this? Would a racer buy this instead of a Mumm, or a Melges 32? I doubt it. Would a Racer/Cruiser but this? Why?

3. Andrews30Custom

Andrews30Custom New Member

Thanks Paul...I will pull the arrows out of my back now..by the way I never said I was building this in production..its for my own use...and the boat as is Kicks *** up here in Canada...and the way the moulds are built, you can do alot with them...ie: freeboard and stearn flare...thanks for the help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.