Aluminum boat leaking

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kati, Oct 20, 2007.

1. kati

kati New Member

:( I have three years old 16f aluminum fishing boat. This summer I noticed that every time I lifted the boat to the trailer and open a the plug there was a lot of water coming out.

To investigat where the water had come I started filling the boat with water when it was on the trailer. After a while I noticed that there five small cracks ot the hull where the water was seeping out.

The cracks were in various parts of the hull andthere were no sign on the paint that some external forces would have created the cracks. As far as I could see all the cracks were close by the weldings (not the seams but weldings for some internal structures.

Is this typical that that three years old boat starts to leak?
    The hull has five years warranty. Does the warranty cover this kind of damamge?:eek:

What should I do?

2. bbsboat

bbsboat Junior Member

You can ask builder for help..

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Yes your hull warranty should cover cracks in the hull. Contact the builder, or if you bought it through a dealer take it to the dealer.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

once the boats crack, which is caused by flexing, you are stuffed totally
    the reasons are these
    1 not enough structure in the hull framework,
    2 plating too light
    3 not likely but possibly bad plate
    some try weld from outside, but IF the crack has salt ingress, the weld will just blow apart as it goes in
    power boats pound like mad, especially i fthe boat has poor shape in the landing zone
    You can not fix this problem by just welding, the thing will crack again, you have to either open up to see the structure inside and add more by way of girdars, or well usually these boats are thrown away
    I give 5 years warranty on all my hulls, you may look at my gallery, Aluminium is my speciality
    I don't know if you have warranty on the boat, but you should have
    good luck, I feel mad as heck for you

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.