Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Rep: 47 Posts: 273
(split from http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...nly-34092.html)

You must be kidding: 80-90 feet for two people and no crew, burning heaps of oil to have fun at the sea?!?
The perfect passagemaker uses sails.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Rep: 273 Posts: 793
How about something like this?

http://anchorline.com.au/showboat.cfm?reference=659
Old 08-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Rep: 1100 Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabahcat View Post
Beauty is clearly in the eyes of the beholder. In my case, my eyes tell me that is BUTT UGLY. Pass the gin someone........
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP View Post
Beauty is clearly in the eyes of the beholder. In my case, my eyes tell me that is BUTT UGLY. Pass the gin someone........
Form follows function

That vessel is brilliant for it's intended purpose.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 AM

Rep: 925 Posts: 4,012
Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big dock & room for O'nite stop .

Perhaps it looks better inverted after a big wave?

Cats for coastal , at least in the small sizes.

FF
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post

Perhaps it looks better inverted after a big wave?
Can you provide any evidence of wave induced capsize of powered passagemaking catamarans

Quote:
Cats for coastal , at least in the small sizes.

FF
Tosser

Catamarans have been crossing oceans since before mono hulls existed,
Even ones made from plastic bottles have managed it

Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Rep: 1100 Posts: 605
I think we´re in danger of going off topic here, I apologise.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Rep: 720 Posts: 802
Sabacat,
Obviously you really like catamarans. I have seen some attractive cats. A Hobie Cat comes to mind as fairly attractive (mainly because of her nice slippery hulls). Also some Hawaiian Cats of the 40s and 50s were at least very attractive but I've never seen a cat that is (in the eyes of this beholder) really beautiful. This thread is about beauty ..not cats v/s monos. And that cat in your last post RHP can be described more accurately than I ...I can't say it. However the rig is more attractive than most all other sailboats. And interesting too.

Easy
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP View Post
I think we´re in danger of going off topic here, I apologise.
I realy think you right.

Daniel
Old 08-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre R View Post
Throttled way back to around 6.5 knots or so you can probably get to Hawaii and the weather along the southern route is generally good. But, How are you going to return?
As I reside in Australia my problem would “not” be, how to get back to CA but...How to go on Westward to the next Island, and the next, and finally arrive, safely, in Australia
Perhaps it would be best to cruise down to Mexico and head out for Australia from there...But it's even further from Mexico to Tahiti...Still, Tahiti's nice any time of year
Or, perhaps the 50' Defever could piggy-back from CA to Australia, on a tramp freighter...It could well work-out to be a cheaper trip
Anyway...I still think the 1970 timber Defever 15M is a good looking comfortable cruiser...With a great aft deck for lazing about on and fishing off
Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Sabacat,
Obviously you really like catamarans.
I do, some
But I also like monohulled vessels, some

In fact in the current financial climate, I could well be swayed to buy a old monohulled trawler such as this (click) if I was not currently building the vessel in my avatar.

Ultimately it would not be the vessel I ideally wanted as it would not be as suitable as what I am building, for the type of passagemaking/cruising I intend, but I could live with it on a purely financial/time spent building decision

I have owned more mono hulls than multi's, but that does not mean I am one eyed and biased towards one over another, like I said earlier, that particular cat is a far better vessel than any mono, for the purpose it is intended in my opinion.

It is relatively economical to run
It has range
It has stability
It has no draught restrictions
It has plenty of usable area
It has plenty of shade.

Of course if I planned on Alaska, for example, as my cruising/passagemaking area, then I would choose something else, but then that vessel, suited to Alaskan waters, would be quite unsuitable for other areas.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 AM

Rep: 720 Posts: 802
Sab,
I think I've seen that old trawler in a magazine.
My only boat design that was actually built was almost (at least) a multihull so I've had my foot in the other puddle as well. The thing that bothers me most about cats is the large weight penalty they pay to keep the hulls together ..
especially on rough going. The twisting forces must be very high.
TAD,
Island Eagle is a very sanitary vessel indeed. So much so that I've seen my first white dry stack. How on earth do they keep it ..well ..white?
Apex, Do you really think going seriously to sea with only 2 people aboard on most of these boats as prudent and safe?

Easy
Old 08-13-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Sab,
The thing that bothers me most about cats is the large weight penalty they pay to keep the hulls together ..
especially on rough going. The twisting forces must be very high.
The forces on a powered multi, especially at lower speeds is considerably less than that of a sailing multi as the powered version does not have a mast and sails trying to tear it apart

A 46 ft alloy powercat I recently delivered to vanuatu had a single sheet of 8mm (I think) alloy plate, supported by furniture so as to keep it in column.
This is a commercial inter island ferry

My 50 ft cat has 12mm marineply, Kiri timber truss (similar weight to cedar) and 12mm marineply (This is all arguably overkill) all tied in by furniture to keep it in column.

Schionning Powercats have 2 sheets of 25mm balsa epoxy composite sheets glued together and a unidirectional glass rope inserted into the first 40mm of core.

all very light
Old 08-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Previous Member

back when I was considering a larger boat this issue of dock fees was pretty high on my negatives list

I finally decided on a more modest size that I would more likely be able to afford more easily

cheers
B

Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM

Rep: 925 Posts: 4,012
Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big dock & room for O'nite stop .
back when I was considering a larger boat this issue of dock fees was pretty high on my negatives list

Purchaser dock space just for the LAUNCH , it gets parking , mail service and garbage disposal and FW at times.

Keep the "big" boat on a mooring , piece and quiet ,, for free.

FF