Airex T91 Foam

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Samnz, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Is Airex T91 Foam ok for a hull core? if not why not? its 100kg, and the design specs say to use 80, im not worried about the weight diffference just the difference between say C70 and T91 Airex Foam...

2. fng

fng Junior Member

Smanz go to www.alcanbaltek.com for the full specs of all the airex foams. the sheets are typically smaller than standard so check your getting a mtr/2 price

3. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Thanks, yea it is a per m2 price, and I have looked on that website allready, but It says its suitable for decks and transoms, but doesnt mention hulls. Only thing I can think of is its not as flexable as c70 so hard to bend into a mould...?
    or maybe to brittle?

4. fng

fng Junior Member

samnz just ring your supplier and see if you can buy half a mtr or so, then bring it round and we'll have a play. Most of the time you would be required to heat the C70 to develop the type of curves you play with, so lets see what we can do with a side buy side test. In consideration of the fact that the foam is designed to be used in impact areas you may well get away with using less laminate. For example typically in your style of yacht 400-450g/mtr laminates is concidered strong enough, but not strong enough to stop brusing in the event of nudging a dock, or a raft up ... So typically it is recomended to go for 600g/mts outer skins.
    I have several test panels you could compare too with C70 and varous liminates

5. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

thanks, I would like to do this, I have allready purchased the foam, but would like to do some tests to see if i can get away with 300 DB glass on each side for the floats decks, its only a small area and not likely to be walked on much, my current boat has 4mm ply with one stringer and hasnt broken, the foam and glass must be much stronger.

6. fng

fng Junior Member

No problem, do you have any 4mm ply as well ? Give me a ring or email, you've got my details, if not your brother will
    Gary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.