Affordable seaworthy cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by goodwilltoall, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Been sick since after xmas. Limit exposure to heavy cleaning products. Eventhough I dont celebrate xmas, its a slow time of the year and decided to "disinfecte" whole house. Do this occasionlly, but over did it and the cleaning agents seared my lungs.

This drawing is directly from what was lofted and took it off actual hull build numbers. Prior, the stern of hull sat 2" above WL. Added 3000# ballast with new keel design and it brings stern .3" below WL. WL = 48.8, displacement = 11,460, PPI = 1295, draft = 3'-0", CP = .61 and DL = 44, trying to make it heavier as this seems very light.

Eliminated pod keel for lowering engine to make shaft more horizontal, with this keel design, the engine is inside the hull. Brought engine as far fwd as possible. Didnt want to mention this before but, when lofted originally, I used several pcs of the stripping to make a 55' batten and just assumed it was true in plan view. If you notice the fwd hull (at stations 14'-6" to 18'-0" ) is about 5" more narrow than what was intended. This made fwd berth and seating a little tighter. It was still fair but, lost interior volume.

2. goodwilltoall

55 gal drums are OK for fuel storage and have room to bring in through hatch but will eventually use builtin epoxy/wood (as shown) or fabricate metal tanks. Engine compartment area a little cramped but, organized room for everything (pumps, insulation, filters, batteries, whatever else necessary).

When its time to install engine, it will be lowered/propped into place with shafts and prop in exact location. When everything is aligned and engine sitting 1" above base of mounting bolts, I will then pour 3 gal. epoxy around shaft tube. The engine base is 10 degree in relation to hull, base will be a bunch of epoxy and plywood, manufacture recommends 4"x4" quarter sawn white oak, hard mount engine.

BTW, drifting towards completing hull with YP, there's a wood trim maker that has a gang saw. He puts in 1/2" spacers/blades until full board is accounted for. Pushes it through and bunch of 1/2" strips are ripped. Quoted $5.00 per 16' plank. Comes out a little cheaper than the 3/8" aquatech at $40.00 sheet, although thats not the reason. Need more weight as the build is light and like the idea of full coldmolded hull. Will be more work but fly through it compared to first layer built.

4" Ruddershaft and 5" shafttube very oversized to allow for wearing away. Grease zerts will keep interface from wearing to quickly. With 4" rudder shaft, a piece of 1/8" x 2.5' x 5.0' can be bent around, welded and done. Weld on beafy armture and flanges with out future worry.

3. goodwilltoall

Sam, Rough cut yp is not sold as sellers are afraid of OSHA. It was a much better board thats gone from this area unless I can find a sawyer down South and deal with him directly, at this time its not a big deal as those type of plank are not needed presently.

Theres to many hard facts and scars to prove waters completely covered the Earth. Best results gained over the millenia by those that practiced Christian law form, Scripture predicted The Christ's life and resurrection centuries before it happened. Scripture says it would be foolishness to people like you. Eventhough you havent presented one shredd of evidence to back up you claims, I accept it as your choice to believe as you want.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You start this cock-and-bull story with the premise that OSHA only has access to 'federally funded sites,' and you're dead wrong -- as has been clearly explained by me, bntii and others. Therefore I see no reason to believe you're giving an honest account of what happened, or even to believe it happened at all.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

:eek: I am shocked!

I explained before OSHA has nothing to do with rough cut YP being manufactured, just possibly where it's used. But rc wood is hard to come by nowadays, unless you go right to the sawmill or the kiln dry/milling plant. I believe it's more effecient and profitable to just offer milled wood. It's a real nuisance to build with rc wood and its various dimensions anyways.

This new plan you posted, is that the boat you're building? Is that on hold until warmer weather?

Did you ever think of the possibility that a delusional guy named Jesus Christ made himself fit the prophesies? That would be easy, kind of like following a plan. Let me see, I did that last year, I'm supposed to do this soon and then eventually I'm supposed to die horribly...
    Sort of like how people confess to crimes they didn't commit.
    I'm not the one making claims, you are. In more than one sense. You make the original claim and then claim this and that proves it. You have faith, but no proof.

6. goodwilltoall

Let all glory be to the Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus the Christ who gives strenghth to his brethren to overcome.

As well as I can recall, that is what happened. Osha is only allowed on federally funded sites or unless invited in, as some contractors like to be recogonized as osha compliant.

The state seems to be your god and I can see why such a thing offends you.

7. goodwilltoall

Xmas is pagan. I was raised catholic and during xmas day I still spend it with my family and try to keep the peace. Drink wine as well, my brother makes excellent wine with grapes from CA. My mother drinks wine as well and this year she decided to make her own using concord grapes.

She left three bottles on the table, after the first two were finished we tried the third, her brand. As soon as i tasted it my stomach went sour, it was like vinegar. The next day I woke up and felt like i had a log strapped to my back. Finally getting over this flu.

The tent is still up and its dark inside with all the snow. Building to commence during warmer weather.

Peace.

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yer damn right I'm offended and I sure wish I knew what it is I'm offended about so I could be truly, downright offended! This being generally offended just isn't cuttin' it!

9. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

True, it rained for a million years or so non-stop. But that was a few billion years ago, long before Noah - the only boatbuilder to launch a boat on time, BTW - except he didn't have time to fit the engines, sails or even the rudder

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

10. goodwilltoall

Richard,

Your arguement is laughable,

Earth being very hot and rainy, slowly cools down over millions of years, a little tadpole develops after millions of years, swims around and develops fins , he jumps out of water, settles into his roots, several more millions of years pass, he develops feet and jumps back in water, after further evolution, he's a platterpus and jumps out of water again. After several more million years you have him on your coat of arms and his picture hangs on fireplace mantle.

Guess everybody has to believe in something?

11. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

goodwilltoal

there is a saying, "not the sharpest tool in the shed". Hate to say it, but that does apply to you. I have zero problems saying that solely based on your boat design ability, and not even touching your religious beliefs. I think Richard Woods is british (have not checked this), the Platypus, and thats how its spelt, is found in Australia, and although its on our 20 cent coin it's not on our coat of arms where you can find a kangaroo and an emu.

going from sea to land to water is what happened to whales and other cetaceans (you can look this word up if you dont know what it means). They still retain the remants of leg bones in their bodies. Go to a museum and you can see for yourself

12. goodwilltoall

When did you see whales going back into water? What kind of remnants do you carry around?

Those are not leg bones but, former tree roots.

I was mistaken, the kangaroo must have been the latter evolutionary stage of the platterpus, I stand corrected concerning your COA.

13. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Sorry, I just got here and missed much I suppose, are we now walking on water or have we trained sea critters to tow an affordable cruiser and if either, how is OSHA involved in my personal build?

14. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I wrote my post immediately after watching a National Geographic program about the geology of the earth

Many people think that National Geographic is a respected and responsible organisation and by implication what they say will be true.

And yes, I am British

Richard Woods

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I guess it's best not to believe in the evolution of life from lower forms as then you would have to deal with the evolution of God from the Paleolithic Era.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.