Affordable seaworthy cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by goodwilltoall, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

When proper science/knowledge are applied, athiest are always be behind the curve and constantly coming up with new theories.

That quote by Ingersoll show how childish they are, using silly cliches. First: trying to justify his reasoning for atheism, he acknowledges God and the flood by refering to them both. If you know He has such power and force to cause such a thing to come about, wouldnt it be smarter to understand why he did it rather than set yourself up against Him?

Second: Again using his cognizance of God. Can you being the clay, tell the potter what to do. When I design/build a boat, I can erase, bend, or form to my will, how much more The Creator of the universe?

Third: Why does it matter to him what happened to the others anyways? He was inside the britches of Noah-his progenitor; do you think once the doors where closed and the waters lifted the ark, Noah cared what was happening to the others who rejected salvation? Prior to the ark being completely built, it says "Noah moved with fear".

FYI, tonight there will be a radio program on a NPR affliate (yes, they are a bunch of facists) called Intelligience Square USA, and to show thier bias they titled this particular program "science refutes God". Its fashioned after whats called a "harvard style debate" and the debators are athiests vs. Christians. Heard bits of it during the weekend and then lost signal, obviously the Christians get the KO win however, it really surprised me that they even allowed it to be aired.

2. goodwilltoall

Wave painting on last drawing will be left out, put it there trying to make it look peacefully passing by. The rig, ventilation, and exhaust are ongoing ideas that still need to be perfected.

Building at this time has ceased due to colder temps, epoxy is very viscous.

Should have put more thought into locating quality Southern Yellow pine prior to commencing. It is possible to buy excellent quality SYP by looking at osha D-165 planks, this wood meets rigid standards as its used all over Eastern America for scaffolding and mens lives are at stake on it. Up in Cleveland 2"x10"x16' plank sells for $48.00, at Greenville you can buy it for $21.00.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Ingersoll "acknowledging" God, NPR = fascists? LOL. Stick to praying and reciting repetitive religious cliches and gibberish, you're thinking way above your pay scale.

I thought you had designed to Home Depot quality wood, why would the availability of better wood be a factor? I mean, better wood has always been available, but you rejected it from the beginning as not needed, saying something about quality builders use balsa to build high end boats and balsa has no strength so therefore you were building a much stronger, better boat using HD stuff.

4. goodwilltoall

The Lowe's wood I bought was $22.00 per board and is sufficient for intended purposes. New source has better quality for $21.00, no tax, delivery, and less waste.

Three options to consider starting with most preferable to complete hull build:
    1. Since exact information is lacking to performance of typical Lowe's plywood (some say yes, others no), so leaning on safe side. Two layers of 3/8" Aquatek. Can get it for $40.00 sheet.
    2. Buy the YP, cut it into 1.5"x.5" strips, then two layers at 45 degree. This will make it tremendously strong, have plenty of epoxy to do it, but dread the thought of cutting it all. Do have some 16' yp planks and in the next few days will cut one into usable strips, time it, and thereafter consider if its worth it. It would cost about 60-75% of the Aquatek.

5. goodwilltoall

3. Two layers of Lowe's 1/4" plywood followed by one layer of GP 1/4" underlayement Luan/mahgouny. The GP luan is much better quality than typical luan. All sheets are about $20.00.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I apologize for beating you with my atheist stick. Well, maybe not that but I apologize for poking you with the pointy end anyways.

It's kind of odd, you post scripture in the hope of "saving" me or others, and I'm going to post atheist quotes in rebuttal, in the hopes of "saving" you or others. That will be interesting if the moderator doesn't shut it down and I can keep it civil. One quote attributed millions of deaths to God/Jesus, but only ten to Satan. Don't get me wrong, my mentioning God or Jesus Or Satan does not mean I think they are factual. I do wonder who the ten were though.

I'm building a workshop for my wife and have been buying 'local' to help the small business locals and find that often prices are often cheaper with better quality material. Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart are often very expensive, riding on a myth of big volume/low prices.

Plywood manufacturing quality is on a voluntary basis as far as I know and even then, the variations within a specific designation such as Exterior or Sheathing or any one of the categories can be tremendous.

If you have no compound curves there's is not much reason to rip out a mass of strips to cover your hull. If you do have compound curves, 1.5 x .5 strips of solid, yellow pine aren't going to want to bend too much anyways.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Oh yes, I forgot... Merry Christmas!

8. tomas

tomas Senior Member

This article includes a photo gallery:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dutchman-launches-life-sized-replica-noahs-ark

A 20-year project completed by Dutchman Johan Huibers.

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

One bit of info in the story

"Huibers says he's considering where to take the floating attraction next, including European ports or even across the Atlantic — though the latter would require transport aboard an even bigger ship."

Basically, its not seaworthy enough to go across the big oceans.

10. goodwilltoall

Actually never took the time to look at Huibers reasons for building or whats its all about but, would say he never intended it to be ocean going.

In last post mistated that "delivery" is part of deal. It would cost $440.00 to ship 50 plank, so figure an additional $9.00 per plank however, when I figure the time going through boards at Lowe's, loading, hauling, fuel, no tax, and less waste, its still a good deal.

Can realistically say that sourcing & gathering the materials took about 1/3 of the time thus far. Couple that with designing, experimenting, contemplating, reading & learning took it to well over half and maybe even 3/4's compared to the time of actually building the boat. All is not lost, as I enjoyed most of it and has laid a good foundation.

Subscribe to the idea that it takes about 10,000 hours to be the best at what you do, all great musicians, artists, designers, builders, or whatever line of work have went through this to intimately understand and be proficient at what they do.

For most of you, it seems you spend life gathering knowledge & then you die, its all useless, your vain pursuits. Christians know that the earth and everything in it waxed old and is going to perish, we await the coming of the new heavens and new earth.

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Make sure of what you're getting. Some of those boards are laminated, some have steel pins embedded and some are treated with chemicals such as fire retardant.

Baron von Knifty

12. goodwilltoall

The Scripture scolds the man that would ask for the second coming, you have no idea of the forces that will be unleashed, its says men will be going into holes of the earth and asking for death and rocks to fall upon them.

First coming is already proved, and witnessed by over 500 people that The Christ rose from the dead, and many of those offered thier lives professing that fact.

Have gone through thousands of planks and the laminated are garbage. Most of the time, plank are stored outdoors (under cover) or on projects exposed to weather, laminated keep more amounts of moisture inside, becoming heavy and more prone to sudden failure. The pins are at the ends, usaully cleat type to prevent splitting and easilly removed or cut off an inch.

The yellow pine I am most familiar with has not been kiln dryed so has kept its cell structure intact and is better able adjust to changing enviroments, have used the types of planks from Greenville, they are kiln dried to 19% but still work OK.

Fresh rough cut yellow pine is banned by osha, that wood was great and easily available in Cleveland, much stiffer and more durable then what they approve for use now. Used to be about $38.00 a board. Bureacracy came to the conclusion they know best and you should learn to use inferior materials.

Osha gets kicked off our sites and dont bother us, most people dont know they only have jurisdiction on federally funded worksites or if ignorantly invited in. Would be buying some if I could again find that type of wood.

1 person likes this.
  13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Dunno nothing about Lowes and such but know something about cheap timber. Got my supply 2km of 48 by 128mm (2by5 ) norwegian spuce with a couple of pouched salmons which for me anyway were worth of nothing but friend of mine with the timber really preciated them.. :)

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Religion is based on the fear of dieing, that's all. We only fear it because we're smart enough to wonder about it, animals don't seem to have any problems with it and every animal, every bug, everything that is 'alive' has just as much claim on life as we do. Think of everyone and everything that has died before us, they did it without complaining, if they did it, we can too. It's no big deal.

I don't understand why you have such problems with OSHA and liberals. You've apparently got a ticket to ride, you're pretty sure you have a space in the finite realms of Heaven (Rev. 21:16), so what's to worry?

What are you going to do in Heaven for eternity anyways? It seems that it could get very boring. I mean, roads paved in gold, emeralds and precious stones everywhere, bfd as what does it matter there? Adoring Christ and playing harps forever...Cripes! What actually goes on in Heaven? Do you eat? If you do, who does the cooking? Who washes the dishes? Who takes care of the sewer system? Why is Heaven so desirable?

I was listening to those NPR Fascists one night when Bluegrass music was their bait and there was a group singing about all the trials and tribulations of the here and now, oh! oh! woe is me etc., but when they arrived in Heaven everything was set. It was going to be biscuits and gravy! gravy and biscuits! forever and ever biscuits and gravy!

Shoot! The choices are mind boggling! Biscuits and gravy or 72 virgins? What if you got both? 72 virgins (I would want females) AND unlimited biscuits and gravy! Kill me right now, I can't wait!

Anyways, air dried wood is a much better material to work with, it doesn't have all the internal stresses and brittleness, it's more stable and cuts like butter, but it can be full of internal parasites. Was it some kind of joke for Noah to haul around termites and wood borer beetles?

You need to go on the internet and see who OSHA has jurisdiction over because your facts are wrong.

See, this is why I wonder. You can't get it right in the microscopic here and now, from one post to the next, and I'm supposed to believe you have a clue about eternity? Not today, it's not going to happen.

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Why would you want virgins? I'd prefer women who knew what they were doing and enjoyed doing it, personally.

PDW

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.