Affordable seaworthy cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by goodwilltoall, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Bruce,

Your site is big, whats the fattest boat you've designed? Want to see how it compares to mug.

Like the sprays but have you any Liberdade type boats?

2. BRUCEROBERTS

BRUCEROBERTS Junior Member

When you say 'fattest boat' I assume you mean length to beam ratio !
    In our case, the boats with the greatest ratio are the Spray range.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Gentlemen you have given the OP good advice and also have shown exceptional forebearance. I salute you

Advice from a different perspective can be absorbed at http;//www.youtube.com/patcondell

4. goodwilltoall

Greetings,

20' Trailerable trawler - troller cruiser.

Attached Files:

5. goodwilltoall

20' Small trailerable trawler troller jpeg.

Attached Files:

6. goodwilltoall

Took a few minutes to figure out how to upload pdf to jpeg.

Used Tad Roberts cruising shanty as idea for this but, changed arrangements a bit & made it more of an open water type cruiser. This will still be a big boat to trailer so would keep it docked most of the time unless putting up for winter or going on a trip. Suitable for three to four people day fishing or just two for anything longer.

I would use it for circling Lake Erie, towing to Lake Ontario thousand islands area, or maybe 1-2 months cruising Florida during the winter.

Decided to go with inboard diesel and V form hull, what I liked Tad's design for was the closed off forward head allowing proper use and privacy, this makes a very bluff bow and still wondering about the material to use for the tortured form.

The only weight calculation figured was an assumption of .65 prismatic coefficient to come up with 5,000 displacement, want this heft for good seaway motion and would accept it sitting a little below drawn waterline to achieve this. The scantlings then would also be heavy so about 1.5" hull thickness figured.

Build using five frames and one bow assembly. After frames are upright (if possible because of complicated bow form) begin sheathing hull with 1" x 6" treated deck material, saw it at Lowe's, its good quality wood, being wet it would bend easily. Finish with two layers of 3/8" ply.

Forward is the rode and anchor storage with hatch to set and retrieve, would also build stout stem head as Tad shows to tie off. After the head are the seats/berths which if you are over 6' it would be tight at the feet, under 6' should allow you to sleep well. Made this area of hull deep to bring weight forward allowing ballast placement there.

The helm has 2'x2' lowered sole for standing height, open except for forward windows and has the stack at port side going through. The sides would have metal gates for entry/egress. Two seats up high, step down and lockers underneath. This is kind of like a Coast Guard MLB set up. Went with dry exhuast diesel, this will provide long term reliability and efficiency. Bump up to 14hp and it would be all the hull could take for hull speed.

Aft is a properly sized galley, five foot at each side, the sink is 3' high but the other counter areas are 2.5'. 3'x3' Area for standing headroom, the boat looked better with only 5' headroom but, boat is designed for men and not ducks, form follows function. Steps aft for accessing top of hull to fish or stretch.

7. goodwilltoall

30' Trawler- Troller

This is the previous 30' boat design. It bothered me the way it was left. The interior arrangement remains the same, the mast is left off unless you are voyaging.

Attached Files:

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I know that several people have built arks. One was built in the Netherlands I believe, but was NOT allowed to sail, so he moved it to a park of some kind - I believe.

Have you any data on other projects? Or, just this one?

wayne

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

One model I saw had similar dimensions.

Under 5 foot tall by 25' long .... there is a little information here: http://www.creationevidence.org

It is a pretty model.

10. goodwilltoall

El Guero,

Noah was much more intelligent that anyone alive today, and when he brought the animals onto the ark, big ones such as elephants werent the great full size, but were little elephants. He did that with dragons/dinosuars or with most of the animals: less food, less space, more sleeping, more time afterwards to recreate.

Did hear of the man at Netherlands and think its full size.

11. goodwilltoall

God willing, it will look something like this.

Attached Files:

12. goodwilltoall

Wave design to help stay ontop of waters and power through.

People always need encouragement, great numbers of people succeeded because small little kind words, and sorrowfully many stopped just before great ideas were realized or because of destructive words others spoke to them, and to the detriment of all mankind those great ideas are forever lost at least on this journey.

Reminds me of a foreign war general in Scripture who was told to wash himself seven times in the River Jordan and eventually did it and was healed of his disease. What if he only went six times because of pride or listening to others with thier foolish words? An encouragement to other to have hope. A few kind words might have stopped Lanza and he would have chosen The Life rather than death.

Rear deckhouse is drawn 1' to far aft.

Peace.

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'll file that under 'asinine'.

You never mention it anymore, did you quit on your original project?

14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

is this a joke or are you retarded.

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? Robert G. Ingersoll

Did Noah also start with a steel hull?

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.